• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Finally back to the track after last years fiasco!

Tims65

Well, I am finally back to the track tomorrow! I'm running the Time Trails with the Eastern Motorsports Racing Association (EMRA).

For those who don't frequest those other boards, here is a cut and paste of my fiasco from last Fall:

Tims65;3929059 said:
Well, RetroTek sent me a new computer. It arrived Saturday around 2:00 and against all good judgment, I decided to go for it! I plugged in the computer and the car started right up, so I went to work prepping my car for the big race at Summit Point.

I put on my numbers - 95
I put on my EMRA classification - ST-2
I aired the tires, front - 34
and rear - 30
I filled up with gas - 93 octane

Then I got up at 6:00 am and drove 1 hour and 20 minutes to Summit Point. Once there I donned my new fire proof red racing jacket and fire proof red racing shoes and entertained everyone that came by to comment on how beautiful my car looked in the paddock.

When they called the Red Group (Novice, but don't tell anyone) to the track, I strapped into my 4 point harness, adjusted the seat and the mirrors, pulled on my racing helmet, pulled on my racing gloves and pulled my rumbling beast in to the Hot Pits. I staged up with all of the other racers, reving my new 347 stoutly cammed engine to flex my muscles.

Then they sent us on the track. I followed the line of cars through the first lap warming up and thinking though my stategy. As we rounded turn 10 and the track went hot, I opened up the beast preparing to be planted in the back of my seat, but instead she went lean and stumbled down the staight. I pointed the two Miatas behind me by and pulled back into the pits at the end of the next lap.

Not yet defeted, I plugged in my laptop and pretended to know how to adjust my new Electronic Fuel Injection system. I nodded as other racers walked by, in awe of my car and my seemingly unlimited knowledge in track-side-tuning.

The second session resulted in the same results. I again pulled back into the pits, bound to remedy all of her short comings. After lunch, my wife and son came out to watch the big race and cheer me to victory. My son (4.5 years) was dressed head to toe in his Lightening McQueen jacket and hat (number 95), waiting to see me pull ahead of the entire field to take the checkered flag. But, once again, she went lean under hard throttle and I limped around the track to bring her back into the pits.

Licking my wounds, I packed up and followed my wife back to Vienna....well almost all the way to Vienna. Comming off of the Dulles Toll Road, she bucked and stumbled, I fanned the throttle to keep her running. A quick survey of the gauges revealed everything in order:
- Fuel - 1/4
- Water Temperatrue - 190*
- Speedometer - 45 mph
- Tachometer - 2,600 rpm
- Oil Pressure - 60 psi
- Volts - 13 v
Finally, she came to a complete stop on Hunter Mill right before Sunrise Valley Drive. I was able to limp her to a near by parking lot and ride home with my wife and son.

More tomorrow...

Wish me luck!

Tim

Helloooooooo...Tim..........we're waiting for the report!

The day went great and I had a fantastic time! I had some issues and have a 'To Do' list for the winter to get her ready for next Spring.

11-14-20101-28-04PM_0041.jpg

11-14-20101-28-24PM_0042.jpg

My first session out my front spoiler snapped off when I hit 130 on my third trip down the main straight. I came back into the pits to evaluate, so I missed the rest of the first session. After that, there was a noticable difference in the stability of my car down the front straight. Several people also commented that they were surprised at the amount of front end lift that was noticable as I accelerated. I need to evaluate my front aerodynamics and/or my rear suspension. Any advise, pointers will be appreciated.

The second session was good, but I was overly concerned about the front end lift to push the car too much down the straight. Also, my clutch pedal felt low. I came back into evaluate again and noticed a lot of oil blow-by around both valve covers. I cleaned up the oil and snugged down the valve covers and it did help (but not cure the issue). Any magic solutions to keeping the valve covers sealed at a consistant 6,400 rpm? I adjusted the clutch up a little and snugged the valve covers.

The third session was great. I really found my groove and wasn't overly focused on the front end aerodynamics down the straight. I hit a top speed of 135 and my best time was 1:42 and all of this is on street tires, so I'm pretty satisfied.

I need to cure my oil blow by.
I need to resolve my excessive front end lift.
I need to get some race rubber.
- I have some Kuhmo V-710 race tires in the garage, I just need to convience the wife that I need a new set of wheels to mount those tire on!
I have a dozen other minor issues to work out

Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
I was getting oil out of the VC vents till I modified the baffle and routed the vents down to the headers. I've had very little oil under the hood since.
Do you have roller perches? I've only had mine to 125 at PIR and HPT, but it never felt floaty and haven't noticed any front end lift. R compounds will blow your mind the first time out!!

Glad you had fun!

Like others mentioned, sounds like you need a catch tank instead of a breather on the valve covers. R compund tires are the best crack. You will NEVER drive your car on the track with street tires again. Just be prepared for $1000 in tires every few weekends...

What spindles are you using? I've seen some weird end lift problems with Granada spindles. Could also be a binding issue. I've seen cars at the track with front end lift due to something, they were on the power but not going fast enough for the lift to be areo. If its not binding and only happens at high speeds then try a stronger splitter next time.

Thanks guys!

1st - the wife gave me the 'go ahead' for a second set of wheels, so this spring I will be out on some Kuhmo V-710's
2nd - Oil Blow By - I'm still looking for good suggestions here:
- Are there any good valve cover gaskets that might help?
- I have my PCV system set up, but I might different system. Is it worth drawing off of both valve covers?
3rd - Front End Lift:
- I'm planning on ordering 2 new front spoilers and laminating them together + adding some mounting points. Does anyone have any other suggestons here?
- Could my front end lift be a symptom of weak rear leaf springs?

Now a couple of action pictures:

p890603091-3.jpg

p516113414-3.jpg

p67372758-3.jpg

Tim

As for the PCV....you need the intake from one side to have airflow thru the engine crankcase and internals.

As to the lift.....how is the alignment and is there any front end bind when driving or binding as you bounce it when still?

"AzPete" said:
As for the PCV....you need the intake from one side to have airflow thru the engine crankcase and internals.

Pete, I have a PCV valve on the passenger side Valve Cover, but the driver side is sealed. Are you saying that in order to make the PCV system work, I need a breather on the driver side? Or should I use PCV valves on both sides?

Thanks,
Tim

You need a breather on the drivers side. Use a filtered breather type or you can run a hose to the lower, inner area of the air cleaner. Just so the air is filtered.

My setup..
unload062.jpg

Go with a catch can. I know the Nor Cal Shelby Club's open track days require a catch can instead of a single breather.

I got a nice breather catch can from StreetOrTrack for a good price... breather catch can. I use one breather catch can for the valve cover and another one for the rear axle vent mounted in the wheel well.

Tim,

I think I still have my old breather catch can, filter and cap in the garage, I only had it on the car for 1 year. Shoot me a PM if you want it.

"silverblueBP" said:
Tim,

I think I still have my old breather catch can, filter and cap in the garage, I only had it on the car for 1 year. Shoot me a PM if you want it.

Thanks Mark. What are you using now? What is your valve cover/PCV/Breather setup?

Tim

I have a cap in each VC with a hose that goes down to the header collector. It's a slick setup and has stopped almost all the oil spraying around the engine compartment. It's a drag racing trick! I have a HV oil pump and it really throws around the oil at speed.

You can see it in these pics.

StangFixTagMedium.jpg

IMG_2668Small.jpg

IMG_2669Small.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
"silverblueBP" said:
I have a cap in each VC with a hose that goes down to the header collector. It's a slick setup and has stopped almost all the oil spraying around the engine compartment. It's a drag racing trick! I have a HV oil pump and it really throws around the oil at speed.

Tim, take this with a grain of salt. It hasn't been tested much.

Back