• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Fire extinguisher mounting

ko67

I redid a lot of the wiring in the dash of my car, as well as the wiring for the electric windows I put in. Because I am a dumbass, and paradoxically, unusually cautious, I fear that a fire of electrical origin is very likely as a consequence of my general dumbassitude. Because of my realistic view of my lack of abilities, and my cautious nature, I keep a fire extinguisher in the passenger floor board. Has anyone mounted a fire extinguisher in the passenger compartment? Any pics? Thanks.

Kev, self confessed unusually cautious dumbass.

Never had an electrical fire, but came close. Way back when, when I was running a choke on my carb, the choke wire fell off and grounded against the intake. Found out, that it wasn't fused. All the insulation melted off the wire the entire way (and took out some other wires also). It filled the entire passenger compartment with some by the time I dove into the nearest parking lot. Since then, I keep a small fire extinguisher in the car. It's currently rolling around the back passenger floor board. So, I'm also interested in getting some ideas!!

I'm interested too. All I've found is $150 billet brackets on summit, or the extinguishers they sell with brackets at home depot.

Maybe you should put in a complete, automated system, based on your .......... "dumbassitude" :lol :lol

"AzPete" said:
Maybe you should put in a complete, automated system, based on your .......... "dumbassitude" :lol :lol

Maybe I can modify a NOS fogger system to deliver Halon all over the car. I could mount a button that says "dumbass" on my gear shift ala "go baby go" button in Gone in 60 Seconds.

I have an extinguisher mounted behind my switch panel on the tunnel. A few bolts hold the mount to the floor and it clips in.

IMG_2626Small.jpg

Wish I had some better pictures here. I just used the wall mount bracket that came with the extinguisher & just screwed it straight to the driveshaft hump between the seats:

26_20_05_09_11_23_44_4.JPG

26_20_05_09_11_23_44_3.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Kama Sutra recommends that you mount something other than a fire extinguisher... :craz

"Midlife" said:
Kama Sutra recommends that you mount something other than a fire extinguisher... :craz

Given my reputation on another forum on this site, I will leave that alone.

I haven't looked into mounting yet as I'm not on the road but one suggestion is to make sure it is reachable from your seat while strapped in and you can find it/release it with your eyes closed. You never know what situation or urgency you'll be in if a fire starts unexpectedly.
Jon

i have a full length console, so i did similar to 70_Fastback but mounted it on the passenger side of the the tranny tunnel, just ahead of the passenger seat.
it's within easy reach.

You guys make sure to take them out periodically, hold them upside down and whack them a few times with a rubber mallet. The cake inside will settle and pack, especially in a vehicle. By whacking them you will keep the cake from settling. While you're at it make sure they aren't any older than 6 years old. If so replace or recharge. I bet Midlife can do something with this post :craz

Visible in this photo....

3_07_09_08_6_05_10_3.JPG

Mounted to the R model type shelf that places it within easy reach.

Last edited by a moderator:
"ko67" said:
Maybe I can modify a NOS fogger system to deliver Halon all over the car. I could mount a button that says "dumbass" on my gear shift ala "go baby go" button in Gone in 60 Seconds.

Being that you are an overly cautious dumbass, if you go this route you might consider a drop down oxygen system like that of a passenger aircraft.

Odds are pretty good that if there is in fact a fire looming in your future it is undoubtedly going to take place while you occupy the cabin.
Halon will not discriminate as to weather it extinguishes you, the fire or both.

On another note, I like Dave's location. I'm mounting mine there.

I have a fold down.

It seems like a natural place for it. No matter how much I like my car, I'm not pulling the trigger on the extinguisher until I'm outside.

My panels were cut for 5 1/2 round speakers long ago, so a couple more holes won't hurt. Rear seat passengers can mount up from the other side.

"Sluggo" said:
Being that you are an overly cautious dumbass, if you go this route you might consider a drop down oxygen system like that of a passenger aircraft.

Given that I have a convertible, I already have that. (On the cautious dumbass front, I did catch myself locking the door with the top down when I ran into the house to get something.)

Back