• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Firewall blanket attachment plugs?

miketyler

I got these rubber plugs yesterday and are supposed to fasten the firewall blanket to the inside firewall. My car is a 70, and the sales guy said I needed seven of them but I only see three holes so far. Also, do these just push-thru the blanket into the small holes in the firewall? They look to be threaded, I wasnt sure if there was a plastic screw or something that it threads in to make it expand.

Can anyone tell me about these?

They just push through as Rich said. The hard part is pushing them through...if you put a phillips screwdriver, punch or anything pointy enough to push the center you end up punching through it usually. The ones for my '67 looked a little different but were too big for the holes so I stepped the hole up one size.

I pushed from the interior while my daughter pulled the nub through with needlenose pliers. It's kind of a twist and work it through once you get a grip on it. I only used 3 but am not worried about looking original. With all the wires and other items bolted to the floorboard it stays up fine.
Jon

Cool - its the hole inside the rubber plug that looks threaded or serrated and was unsure. Will pop them in and get her done

There are many holes in the firewall that took sheetmetal screws but the ones for the pad pins should be just flat holes. I think the pads are made kind of universal to cover a couple of years. Some of my pad holes didn't line up with any firewall holes so I either made a hole in the metal or a hole in the pad to make them line up.
Jon

Cool - will do. Looks like the Osborn manual says it takes 2 for the large blanket. I see where he got 7, the pins are the number 7 circle item on the list of parts on that page.

the lube did the trick. Also handy was one of the Harbor Freight T-handle allen keys. Used the 5/16 one to insert in the brommet to help push the nipple through.

(yes, I said nipple) :)

"miketyler" said:
the lube did the trick. Also handy was one of the Harbor Freight T-handle allen keys. Used the 5/16 one to insert in the brommet to help push the nipple through.

(yes, I said nipple) :)

How does she feel about it?

Mel

"Jonk67" said:
The ones for my '67 looked a little different but were too big for the holes so I stepped the hole up one size.

When I was doing a firewall pad in my '67 I was provided these same larger rubber nipple things. Come to find out that they are wrong, there are correct fasteners that are reproduced that are a harder plastic, smaller diameter, and are easier to install no need to drill out the holes. I am pretty sure they are in the Scott Drake catalog.

There may have been some variations between years. The one I have pictured is pretty close to what came out of my 70 except the originals were hard and brittle. Hard to say if they may have been a soft plastic originally or rubber.

The ones that I get from Scott Drake match the factory ones,and I never have had to drill the hole bigger, bot they could vary from different company's. Rich.

Back