• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Firewall pad...or not?

monkeystash

I've read multiple posts about the repro firewall pads fitting like crap. I'm going to put down Second Skin Damplifier on the firewall anyway, so should that be enough, or is a pad really necessary? Anybody 86 the pad?

...or maybe I make my own pad to go over top the Damplifier, like the Heat Wave Pro:

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/thermal-insulation/heat-wave-pro.php

med_267.jpg

So far, I'm liking this idea the best.

You're thinking exactly down the same line I took. I first laid down 2 layers of DamplifierPro; followed by a layer of thermal insulation matte you pictured in your post. If you're not looking to do a concourse restoration, I don't see why anyone would bother with the crappy (and expensive) repro firewall pad.

After removing all rust, priming and painting my firewall I lined it and the bottom cowl with Dynomat. That was probably enough but my car is an AC car and had original mat was in good shape. Overkilll? Maybe but was nice and heavy with rubberized layer, I put it in.

The repops arent just dirt cheap, are they that crappy?

Ryan,
Glad to hear you are using 2nd skin products. Shag has a crap load of it. I though found a firewall pad that fitted pretty well (don't remember where it came from though) So after a layer of diamp pro I installed the firewall pad with success. If you haven't gotten the diamp pro yet, order the black stuff for it doesn't stand out as much as the silver colored stuff.

Does anyone have a picture of one of these firewall pads installed? I was thinking of installing one which is sold for $39 at NPD. I don't care if it looks original. If it looks horrible, I'll come up with another alternative.

The pad I got didn't look bad, it just did not fit. I bought it from a Scott Drake dealer. There is a picture of it and the box in my build thread. It did not cost very much, I do not think it cost more than $40.00

Looking back I think they just sent me the incorrect one.

I did the Peel and Seal type stuff on the firewall.

I found this site after I did the installation http://www.dctra.org/files/1974_TR6_Carpet_Install/Sound_Deadener_Showdown.pdf

If I would do it over I would have used this stuff http://www.raamaudio.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=1&Itemid=3

I have been thinking of putting the Ensolite material over the silver stuff that I already installed as it supposedly provides better thermal protection.

Ryan, I used the stuff very similar to what you have pictured. I put down a butyl mat first, two layers, then the 1/2" thick or so stuff in your original post, then I covered it with a closed cell foam, maybe 1/8" thick or less. The butyl mat and foam were from Raammat, and the 1/2" pad was the Heat Shield from NPD.

I used the Repops firewall pad on the Coupe I have a few years ago and was majorly unimpressed, and for what you see of it after its all said and done, its not worth the hassle to try to put in the poor fitting repro.

Back