• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

fitting a new rear qtr panel

wayjon0

First I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for for answering all my newbie questions, it has helped me a ton.

I have replaced the right rear trunk pan and I am just about ready to put the new outer wheel house on. I lined my trunk pan up with the other side and used the measurements off the left side to get everything square. (hope that makes since)

So i will be ready to put the new full quarter panel on by the end of the week and I am not sure how to line it up. Should I put the trunk lid and door back on to use as a guide for fitting?

How did you remove the old quater panel? Did you remove the entire thing -including all of the factory edges & lips?

I kept my doors on so I could maintain a nice body line from fender to door to quarter panel. But I also left the factory lips & edges and just butt welded in my sectioned quarter panel.

Here you can see where I essentially just cut out the middle of my old quarter panel -including the wheel lip area though since I replaced the wheel house, etc.
index.php

Next I over laid the repo quarter on top of the existing quarter and clamped ti in place. You may choose to temporarily tack weld the new quarter on, or put some screws in it to hold it in place. I just used clamps.
index.php

I then used a slitting disc to cut through BOTH pieces - the old and new quarter to set my consistent gap.
index.php

Once I got the top cut - I started tacking that in place to hold it while I cut the rest.
index.php

You can see the back edge was cut too, and I retained the original factory edge - no questioning if stuff was lined up correctly or not. You can also see the plug welds in the wheel well welding it to the new wheel house.
index.php

Body line still intact.
index.php

Hope that helps some.

That does help

The body line comment tells me I need the door on for sure and the trunk lid for the seam at the rear.

I took the panel off all the way to the leaded seam at the roof. At some point in the past this Qtr had been replaced just like you are showing and the seam looked horrible, so I went ahead and ordered a full panel that goes all the way to the roof. I needed to replace the trunk floor and outwheel house for rust anyway, so I figured while I was there I would replace this Qtr as well.

Your pictures will help me greatly when I do the drivers side. The drivers side has some rust issue at the wheel and example your showing will work perfectly.

I can't weld good enough to do it that way (and I didn't have any mouse traps). I cut out my quarters by drilling out the factory spot welds and replaced the whole thing at the factory seams (like you describe doing on one side) but I did leave the doors and trunk lid on for alignment purposes. I don't have any good pics as I did this in the early 90's and didn't take a lot of pics but I am helping a friend with his 65 and we are doing it the same way... with one exception. The quarter panels he bought don't go all the way up the roof like the original. We made a seam with a panel bead roller and spot welded the panels in that area.
72_29_10_09_9_41_10_1.jpg

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Back