• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Fix or replace?

blu67

What’s the general consensus on this? Just had this hood media blasted and it looks like there is more rust than I originally thought. They look like they are fixable as they are all flat pieces I could weld patches in. The rest of the hood is perfect. (PO must have left it outside nose down for quite some time)
Thoughts? Feedback?
10bd448bd81d33e3a21ebd260e5dbe16.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For sure you do the repairs. Finding another original hood in better shape won't be easy and a repop will only require more work to fit properly and will not be anywhere near the quality of the original metal.

For sure you do the repairs. Finding another original hood in better shape won't be easy and a repop will only require more work to fit properly and will not be anywhere near the quality of the original metal.

My thoughts too. That’s why I’ve gone with as much original sheet metal as I could. Seeing how well the NOS quarter went on made my decision easy. I was lucky enough to find many of the parts in one lot for a steal. Just have to deal with some of this.

Agree with the desire to repair. However, with the one caution that there is a lot more rust there than you think there is. Be prepared (mentally anyway) to have to enlarge the repair patches to get you into good, solid metal. Might even be worth picking up a pranged original hood with decent inner bracing to graft from. Just a thought.

Agree with the desire to repair. However, with the one caution that there is a lot more rust there than you think there is. Be prepared (mentally anyway) to have to enlarge the repair patches to get you into good, solid metal. Might even be worth picking up a pranged original hood with decent inner bracing to graft from. Just a thought.

Once again…same thought I had. Trying to find a good hood at a price worth cutting up is another story. If I’m able to find one, much quicker repair.

Remember too, this is all under hood repairs and aside from anything in the general area of hinge mounting not requiring super structural integrity. Clean out the rust to keep it in check and patch it up. This is an area where you are more concerned about removing perforations than getting back to original thickness. As long as there is enough metal to weld to it's good enough. Just keep your amps down to prevent blowing through thinned out areas. Use a 23 wire with your MIG.

Remember too, this is all under hood repairs and aside from anything in the general area of hinge mounting not requiring super structural integrity. Clean out the rust to keep it in check and patch it up. This is an area where you are more concerned about removing perforations than getting back to original thickness. As long as there is enough metal to weld to it's good enough. Just keep your amps down to prevent blowing through thinned out areas. Use a 23 wire with your MIG.

I also won’t have to concern myself too much with prettiness in my welds as most of it will be hidden behind the nose trim flange.

Back