• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Fixed one.....screwed up another ??

70 StangMan

Donator
After finding all the parts and pieces to fix my map light and clock and glove box light and switch, now my gauge lights don't work and they worked perfectly before. :rant What the Hell could I have done ?? (The fuse's all seem fine) Broke a wire ?? knocked loose a ground ??

Yep. You most likely caused the problem when moving stuff around. You're thinking the right way. I'd bet you simply pulled a wire loose somewhere or, as you say, messed up a ground connection.

Can't you dim the gauge lights by turning the lightswitch knob ??
Maybe you turned it down by accidentily??

"B67FSTB" said:
Can't you dim the gauge lights by turning the lightswitch knob ??
Maybe you turned it down by accidentily??
I used to be able to do that, now it's just on one setting. Dark.

For 1970, all dash lamps are tied together with other lamps (including your clock lamp) through a big splice and the headlight switch. If your clock lamp is working, then either your dash connector is not plugged into the dash, or the splice in the main harness is faulty.

I'd verify that the clock lamp functions with the headlamp switch rotation first. If you have a heater lamp, that also is tied into the dash lamps. If that works, you know the headlamp and fuse box is OK. Are you tapping into the OEM radio plug? That also contains a dash lamp connector. Your clock lamp should plug into a red three-prong female connector which is part of the dash lamp system. Is that how you wired up your clock lamp? Both the clock and the heater lamp use the three-prong connector to get their power.

Randy, the PO had removed the entire harness for some reason so I found another one a few years back from VMFer Matt McCrory in NY.
Like this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-Mus ... Accessorie
I tied into a wire with a single male bullet conector (if memory serves) coming from the dash/radio area. The radio is after market, so I don't know what was altered from OEM plug. (the headlight switch is new BTW)
I went out to check last night and found the following: The clock light works when headlight switch is pulled,but doesn't dim when switch is turned from bright to dim.
The high beam Pony works in high beam mode.
The radio works in Acc. position.
The map light/glove box light and clock all work.
No heater light (never has been)
No gauge lights ( no difference when switch is turned from bright/dim)

You see that red male bullet plug with a blue/red wire? That's your dash lamp wire that goes to the clock. That should plug into the red 3-prong connector near where the ignition breaks out of the main harness; that's tied to all of the dash lamp circuitry.

What you need to do is find where that bullet plug plugs into and let me know; we can then isolate the problem. My guess is that the clock lamp is NOT tied to the headlamp switch dash lamp, but to some power related to rear running lights (which is strange, since there is no run of wires from that kind of power from the headlamp switch over to the center of the car.

Thank's Randy, I'll take a look this weekend. There is no telling what I tied into because all the wiring was :censored as a football bat when I got it.

There's some asshat out in the Mustang community that repairs wiring harnesses for outrageously low amounts of money, but requires high maintenance of Wattles Ale...

"Midlife" said:
There's some asshat out in the Mustang community that repairs wiring harnesses for outrageously low amounts of money, but requires high maintenance of Wattles Ale...
Yea, he's a down right legend 'round these parts.

Just curious , if the male bullit lead ties into the headlight switch and the clock/map light is activated by the switch, what provides the hot lead to the clock for continuous operation ??

Another lead tied into the power to the courtesy lights, either green/yellow or black/blue.

Back