• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Fixed the clock in the Mach!

DougG69

The clock in my 69 was not working. So, I removed it for a little R&R, lubed the gears up, got it moving freely. But when I plugged it in, the hands spun like crazy!

Here is the fix in case anyone else has this issue.

Basically, the little spring in the pic below had come loose from the upper gear. Very easy to overlook, because it is still held in place by the bottom gear. All it took to fix it was a set of tweezers.

clock_spring.jpg

I almost feel a kinda smart right now. Almost :)

Good deal....at least it wasn't the voltage.... :lol :lol

Always nice when things are easy and cheap.....

Sweet! I gave up on mine. I gave it a shot but my big fingers didnt work so well on such a small piece. I ended up doing the Quartz swap. I think my original had bigger problems though.

"RyanG85" said:
I ended up doing the Quartz swap.

I think I'm going to go ahead & do the same this winter. Right now I just want to shake out a few bugs & put in a little seat time while I can.

You didn't believe me when I said it was the nut behind the wheel!

"RyanG85" said:
Sweet! I gave up on mine. I gave it a shot but my big fingers didnt work so well on such a small piece. I ended up doing the Quartz swap. I think my original had bigger problems though.

What was your source for the Quartz clock? I'm looking to replace the one in my rally pack.

Thanks,
Gary

"stump" said:
What was your source for the Quartz clock? I'm looking to replace the one in my rally pack.

Thanks,
Gary

It's only the mechanism that gets changed with the quartz clock, not the face and hands.

"Midlife" said:
It's only the mechanism that gets changed with the quartz clock, not the face and hands.

That would work for me. Is there a type of brand in particular, or will any of the correct size work?

"stump" said:

Thanks,
Gary
Gary, I bought mine through Mustangs Unlimited. Most suppliers carry them. I haven't looked into the rally pack ones but would think they have them also.

"buening" said:
What kind of lube is used on a clock? Mine works well but will occasionally stick.

Might do a google search for 'clock oil'. I just used regular household oil from Ace Hardware. Probably a no-no in some way, but it did get things going.

Back