• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Flaming river column help/advise

Dne'

I finally received my FR column, there was a mistake in getting the first one. Now it's late Friday and Flaming River isn't open. I'm hoping surely someone here has installed a FR column.
1) how far out does the column come from the dash? I'll be using a Grant wheel and an adapter that is really thick! what were they thinking? So I guess that puts the steering wheel out further to start with. Do I just set this tilt column to my liking regarding how far out from the dash?
IMG_7930.jpg

2) The instructions show a large illustration using all three u-joints and an suspension arm(for lack of better words). However, another tiny photo shows just a U-joint with the shaft that I will eventually cut, at a very sharp angle, but nothing more/no more photos. It looks like I could use just two U-joints.
Any help is greatly appreciated!
dne'
IMG_7934.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The GREAT thing about those jointed steering shafts for a R&P is you cut them to fit. Mock-up the steering column (with the wheel installed) as to where you'd like it, and then cut the shafts to make it happen.

HI Dave, thanks!
I guess I'm more concerned about the angle of the dangle where the upper U-joint is coming down. I read that 30 degrees should be about the maximum one should put it at. It's kind of dumb, but I don't know how to measure the angle! I know what 45 degrees looks like, but 30 degrees kind of throws me! I just came from the garage and was trying to figure out how to put the extra u-joint in. This really bothers me for safety reasons! I think FR has a constant velocity type joint, I think I may call them Monday and see what they have to say. I was really wanting to wrap up this column thing!

As far as the steering column, inside the car, I'll have to wait for my husband to get home and sit in the drivers seat. His upper legs are large and his stomach will more than likely be a problem! Hopefully the tilt wheel will help out!~

I have a fr column in my car and had to shorten the column about 2" for it to work. I have the end of the shaft just inside the engine compartment. All of it show but not much. That is the only way I could get the u-joint to work without binding.

Shortening it is easy. Remove the plastic bushing at the end. To do this you may need to drill out the small dimples they placed in the column to hold it in place. Once that is removed take a 4" grinder to trim the outer column sleeve. I used take to make a straight line. Then cut the steering shaft the same amount. Put the busing back in and use a center punch and BFH to make another dimple in the column. Before you start cutting the column I would bolt the column in place to ensure smooth operation. Once you get it where it works well then measure how much you need to remove to have the steering wheel in the position you want. I hope this helps.

Thank you Darrel! How much did you actually wind up cutting off? I lay in bed last night (my best time to think) visulizing how I was going to utilized the 3 u-joints(just seems overkill and one more thing to loosen up. I'd rather just use two UJ's and that morphodite idler bracket they gave me. Ok, time to go to work.
Thanks!
dne'

I don't have an aftermarket column (yet) but it sounds as if your concern is over the 3 UJ's. I think what the guys are saying is to set the column where you want it and then let the position dictate whether you need all 3 or just the 2 UJ's or whatever.
I want the tilt feature for my car as I need the large OD original wheel due to no PS and it's a pain to get in and out. I am interested in following your progress as our cars are similar. Good Luck!

You hit the nail on the head!

THank you Tarafied! I just got home from Ace hardware :bow, what would we do without our local hardware store!!! I bought a 3/4" dowl to mock my distance factor. I'm going to sit in my seat, move my steering column and adjust to potential "other" drivers. I think I will cut my steering column at the base to try to use only two u-joints. I'll write later and let ya'll know how I did.
dne'

getting there!

OK, wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be! I cut off 3" and came out very well! My little Dremel tool is The Most Awesome tool! I put a little cutoff wheel, and it just slices through it! Much better than the larger air tool cut off wheel. Each has their place though. I'll get photos up later~ since we bought a new computer, I can't for the life of me figure out how to download photos! I can download, but then I can't find them! Anyway, just painted it all, I kind of wish I had bought the all chrome, but it will be just fine!
My gripes if any: I despise when buy something new, a brand name, and have to fix things on it! The flasher button wasn't accessible, I had to unbolt the turn signal switch and die grind the hole where it comes out. Then the tilt column lever would barely screw in, so I had to die grind the housing to allow the lever to move to and fro without grinding on the housing! I fixed it all, but for the money spent, I'm a little dissappointed.
that's it!
love you guys!
dne'

Tarafied, If you like me to email you some detailed photos, email me and I'll send some when I get done! Waiting for hubby to show me how to use this darned computer!
dne'
Anocsunamoon@aol.com

I guess I am a little late but I cut my column about the same as you. I am glad it worked out for you. Your car is coming along nicely.

The choice between 2 or 3 u-joint knuckles depends solely on how many obstacles you need to manuever around. If you've got plenty of room to work with (like me), two knuckles gets the job done just fine.

Almost complete

I'm worn out! Came out ok I guess. When I turn the hub where the steering wheel will go, it seems kind of difficult to turn, I mean it turns, not real hard though. I'm quite particular on how things lining up and being not bound which may cause it to be difficult to turn. Maybe without a steering wheel it would be a little harder to turn(doah!), and being a PS rack. Shame it will be a while before the rack is actually put into action!
Thanks for help ya'll!
dne'
IMG_7947a.jpg

IMG_7948.jpg

IMG_7949.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks great Dne. Where the allen screws secure the knuckles to the shafts, did you drill small "divots" into the shaft for the screws to catch into?

Yes Dave! I put divots for all the allens and red locktite~ not taking any chances!

I do have a question regarding the front shocks. The bottom of the shocks aren't connected yet as I can't push the body/frame down to bolt 'em up! I can jack up on the LCA, but the car just raises up. Guess I have to wait until the motor is in to finish bolting the shocks up?

OK, let's move to the next task!

Now that's funny Dave, but I don't think Gary could even budge the front end downward! :rofl
thanks!

Hey, that's looking real good! You do good work. I'll shoot you an email so when you get your puter figured out you can shoot me some pics but I think I'd rather just drop my car off at your house and pick it up when your done!!!

You can do it!!!

I actually laughed Tarafied :rofl when you said you come pick it up when I'm done! I honestly don't know if I would even do it again even if I were being paid! But you know what's funny, despite how tough it was, it was kind of fun? I just had to walk back out into the garage and look at it~ I did that! Alone!(except for you guys!), so I kind of did all alone :pep I wonder if I could hook my rack up to an electric motor and see if it works? Kidding of course!

Another thing! I can't imagine doing all this with the motor installed already? Maybe on a lift, but not on jackstands! :hide2

Back