• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Flood Control

Ponyman66

Yak, yak, yak
Anyone that's every pulled a motor and mounted it on an engine stand knows to stand by for the flood of fluids from the block the first time you flip it over. Most folks try to do this outside because of the resulting mess. Since my most recent motor is in my garage, I really didn't look forward to cleaning up the floor after spinning it the first time. You can buy/build catch trays that mount to the stand under the motor, but I didn't have one and haven't fabbed one yet. Since I needed to flip the motor for the first time I got to thinking what I could do to minimize the mess. While sitting in the recliner pondering tons of worthless thoughts it came to me...garbage bags!

I took an over-sized lawn and garden style, heavy mil plastic bag with the built in drawstring. I then slide it completely over the block to the stand (including the engine mounting arms for the stand) and cinched the drawstring down. Upon flipping the motor over, the garbage bag caught all of the antifreeze and oil (not much of that left though), which had remained in the block. I then took a bucket and put it under what would be the bottom corner of the bag. Snip the corner open and then you can drain the fluids straight into a bucket for disposal. Afterward just remove the bag. No muss, no fuss!

I love being lazy!
:thu

"Ponyman66" said:
Anyone that's every pulled a motor and mounted it on an engine stand knows to stand by for the flood of fluids from the block the first time you flip it over. Most folks try to do this outside because of the resulting mess. Since my most recent motor is in my garage, I really didn't look forward to cleaning up the floor after spinning it the first time. You can buy/build catch trays that mount to the stand under the motor, but I didn't have one and haven't fabbed one yet. Since I needed to flip the motor for the first time I got to thinking what I could do to minimize the mess. While sitting in the recliner pondering tons of worthless thoughts it came to me...garbage bags!

I took an over-sized lawn and garden style, heavy mil plastic bag with the built in drawstring. I then slide it completely over the block to the stand (including the engine mounting arms for the stand) and cinched the drawstring down. Upon flipping the motor over, the garbage bag caught all of the antifreeze and oil (not much of that left though), which had remained in the block. I then took a bucket and put it under what would be the bottom corner of the bag. Snip the corner open and then you can drain the fluids straight into a bucket for disposal. Afterward just remove the bag. No muss, no fuss!

I love being lazy!
:thu

Pure genius sir. :thu

Laziness is the mother/father of all innovation. LoL

Back