• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Floor Jack Recomendations

lethal289

I've been using this jack for the passed 4 years (Link Here). I'd say that about a year after owning it i started noticing a small oil leak. And i mean small. It would leave a dime sized mark after sitting for weeks or months at a time.

Because of this leak, i made it a habit to check the fluid levels every time before use.

Let this be a warning to EVERYBODY. Jacks are deadly, and need repaired at the first sign of trouble. This passed weekend, my jack failed. I lifted my 03 vert, and had the stands set aside, when i turned to grabbed them, the jack dropped straight to the ground. I usually have everything right there when lifting the car, so i normally would have been underneath by the time the car came crashing down. Scarred the chit out of me to say the least.

As i find myself in the market for a new jack, im left wondering; What floor jacks are you guys/girls using? What do you recommend? What should i stay away from and why? I'm not sure that aluminum is worth the extra $$$$ anymore after this one. I have my eye on two right now but wanted to get some opinions first. I'm very disappointed in craftsman, and think im most certainly switching brands. I've checked the reviews and lots of people have problems with craftsman jacks.

Take it back to Sears and get a new/diff one.

I have one Craftsman alum floor jack(don't remember size) that stays in the trailer, one 3 ton heavy floor jack I keep in the truck and a 3 1/2 ton NAPA floor jack in the garage. Plus each car has a small floor jack for changing all the flat tires! All have been good jacks with no leaks and no problems.

I NEVER get under a vehicle without stands and the jack.

From the way I read it, he would have been placing the stands when the car fell. Lucky the stands were a bit farther away than normal.

I have used a bunch of different brands. The big difference I found was in the basic structure. Get something that is braced good. I had a Sears unit that twisted sideways with very little weight and a HF model that I could not kill no matter what I asked it to do. Just don't know with today's world market. Get a good warranty in case of leaks.

Yes pete is right. Wait, did i just say that. If i did not have the stands farther away then normal i would have some serious problems right now. I never work under a car unless its properly supported.

Mark, i tried to take it back. They say it only has a limited warranty of one year. It will be a minimum of 100 dollars to repair. I think that money if better spent on a different brand. Problem is, when i bought this one, i figured it would last the rest of my life and not try to kill me.

Ahhh decisions decisions...

Any other suggestions?

Forget about jackstands; get a 2 or 4 post lift. Costs a bit more, but they are much more reliable and useful. Just ask AZPete...

"Midlife" said:
Forget about jackstands; get a 2 or 4 post lift. Costs a bit more, but they are much more reliable and useful. Just ask AZPete...

Yep.....I love mine...ah....I mean Midlife's......

WAIT A MIN HERE.......why should the OP's car need to use any lift mechanism? Look who we are talking about....doesn't that car already clear cement blocks on the street?

"midpack" said:
I have an old Hein Werner, gotta be 50 years old... It was my Dads when he had a repair shop. I did a quick search and it looks like they still make them but I don't know if the quality is still the same. Judging by the price, I'd say they're good

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... e?seeAll=1

Interesting... Thanks

The ones that i was looking at:

Napa 3.5 Ton Floor Jack with Stands Part Number NLE 8996420
Snap on 3 ton hydraulic Service jack Stock Number YA1707

Stopped in my local NAPA yesterday, they are running a special on this one (click here) Regular price $399 on sale for $199. Only has a 19 3/4 lifting height, but its a high contender. Just thought i'd let everyone know they are half off till the end of the month. Seems like a good deal. Especially since NAPA jacks have pretty good reviews online.

Well i picked up the NAPA Jack today. This thing is a beast. Its 5 inch's taller then the craftsman when fully extended. With out a load it takes 8 pumps to get there. The craftsman takes 3. But i bet it will hold a car until the jack stands get set. There is a 50% off sale on it at NAPA until the end of september, and AAA members get an extra 10% off. Too good of a deal to pass up.

The Craftsman:

166-100911191608-86161393.jpeg

The NAPA:

166-100911191612-86191136.jpeg

Side by Side:

166-100911191616-8620984.jpeg

Max Lift:

166-100911191622-86211000.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back