• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Floor pan replacement question

apollard

OK, so I'm working on replacing my floorpans. Welded in the subframe connectors, and cleaned everything up to get ready to cut. Comparing the repro floorpan (American Designer) with the original, the flange at the rocker is bent down on the repro, and up on the original.

This is a driver, so not interested on concours details. But, I want it done right. I know I've seen this discussed, but no luck with a search. For you guys that have replaced these-

Are all the repro floorpans like this?
Any reason not to weld it to the rocker underneath, or should I bend it up like the original?

Personally, I don't think it matters, but when I installed my front driver's side floor pan, I bent the flange up. I went that route, because it's easier to weld while inside the car, as opposed to under the car.

my 2 cents.

The flanges are up (or down) for the convertible, and down (or up) for the Fastback and Coupes.

"Tony R" said:
Now would be the time to fit your torque boxes too. That is if you are putting them in.

It's a '68 coupe, both boxes in & in good shape - all the rust I'm dealing with is from a leaking windshield combined with a car cover to make sure moisture couldn't escape. :po

"Midlife" said:
The flanges are up (or down) for the convertible, and down (or up) for the Fastback and Coupes.

Having done floorpans on a '68 convertible...

They aren't bent at all on a convertible. Because there is an inner rocker instead of just a flat face, the floor pans slide under the inner rocker and weld to the underside of it. If there is a 'vert specific piece, it will be slightly narrower and have no lip at all on it. coupe floors will probably work - you just have to cut the lip off.

'Been too long since I've looked at a coupe floor to know how it goes...

am about to do this as well, have ordered floor pans from CJPP. I got the a LH trunk floor from them and the metal was very soft. I guess you get what you pay for but is Dynacorn or American Products made from better metal? Worth the extra $$?

"miketyler" said:
am about to do this as well, have ordered floor pans from CJPP. I got the a LH trunk floor from them and the metal was very soft. I guess you get what you pay for but is Dynacorn or American Products made from better metal? Worth the extra $$?

My experience with Amer. Products has been good. Decent fit, and good metal. I've not used any trunk pieces, however.

I bought a pair of floor pans from Laurel Mountain Mustang and althouigh there were Canadian made, they are MUCH better metal than the Taiwan trunk floor. They also had the rocker flange bent down.

I am only doing a partial front floor and partial toe board but both of those from Laurel MT were bent down. I hadnt read about this but I just went ahead and rebent the flanges up for my coupe.

Now that I think about it, the partial front floor, ie, the seam at the front of the seat riser forward, has the flange bent down. If you get the long front floor, including the area under the seat riser, the flange is bent up. Really weird why they did that.

Back