• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Floor pans?

Grabber70Mach

What is the difference between the 67-68 vs. 69-70 full floor pans that vendors like CJ'S pony parts offers. I have a 70 that I had bought the full length pans for a couple of years back. But have a chance to get the full pan that was bought for a 67-68 for a pretty good deal if it will work.

I'm pretty sure the 67/68 floor pans won't fit the 69/70 bodies very well; the Mustang did a fairly substantial change in size from 68 to 69. You can probably use a 67/68 for a 65/66, though...

We install the 69-70 one piece floors in the 65-68 all the time. We do it so because the seat risers are 1 1/2 inches lower, and the shifter opening is longer for more clearance for the shifter.

"mustangstofear" said:
We install the 69-70 one piece floors in the 65-68 all the time. We do it so because the seat risers are 1 1/2 inches lower, and the shifter opening is longer for more clearance for the shifter.

What he said. :thu The number of ribs on the front floor is different as well. IIRC 67/68 had three ribs and 69/70 had 4.

Hardly an issue if you're the non-concours type.

"mustangstofear" said:

Good info to know. Thanks.

Will the shifter opening differences cause me grief? Not overly concerned about the ribbing issue as long as it doesn't cause any strength issues with the floor. If I use the seat risers that I previously purchased for the 70 they will be the 1 1/2" lower (stock) when using the 67-68 floor pans? Thanks.

"Grabber70Mach" said:
Will the shifter opening differences cause me grief? Not overly concerned about the ribbing issue as long as it doesn't cause any strength issues with the floor. If I use the seat risers that I previously purchased for the 70 they will be the 1 1/2" lower (stock) when using the 67-68 floor pans? Thanks.

The only time it would make a difference is if you had a automatic, the shifter bezel is larger on the 69-70 model. Yes your 69-70 risers will go right in a stock 65-68 floor pan. We always use either a TKO tranny or the Keisler tranny so we need a little more room in the front of the shifter opening.

"Grabber70Mach" said:
Thanks so I have an automatic then its a no go. Dang it was going to be a pretty good deal for it.

Cut your shifter bezel out and graft it into the other floor.

If youre cutting and welding floors, adjusting the shifter hole would be the easy part...... Its probably time to do the 5 or 6 speed swap anyways :roll

So if I can pickup the complete pan for 350 it would be worth swapping my old shifter area in as opposed to doing both full length pans? Then I could sell my full length pans and recoup some of the money.

"Grabber70Mach" said:
So if I can pickup the complete pan for 350 it would be worth swapping my old shifter area in as opposed to doing both full length pans? Then I could sell my full length pans and recoup some of the money.

Hell yes.

"Sluggo" said:
Can't you just use a 69/70 shifter?

Not sure from what I've gathered the 67-68 opening is slightly smaller. That's why I figured that grafting that section from my old trans tunnel would be necessary so that I could use the 69/70 shifter.

"Grabber70Mach" said:
Not sure from what I've gathered the 67-68 opening is slightly smaller. That's why I figured that grafting that section from my old trans tunnel would be necessary so that I could use the 69/70 shifter.

Never mind. I spazzed out there for a minute.

"Grabber70Mach" said:

Pretty sure that's pretty close to what I paid for mine a couple years ago at the Columbus swap meet from a dealer. Do you have a local show coming up soon? Might be worth checking out the prices.

Back