• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

FMX box

limeyboy

Stupid question time, my FMX box changes seamlessly and drives fine, but putting it into D or R causes it to jerk / clunk.
I changed the oil and filter last month ( it was very clean ad not burnt at all) but i didn't get the 5 litres out i was led to believe would come out, nearer 4 litres.
The question is "what does the oil look like on the dipstick when you check it, does it show a thick oil line because mine just shows a smear about 3/8" above full.
I think the oil is low causing the clunk and want to know if I will damage it by putting another litre in just to see if that cures it ( not driving it up the road, just trying it into and out of D and R)
When I had the sump off I put a drain plug in so it's easy to top up or drain it.
Thanks

Check your Ujoints. Sometimes they will sound like a clunk when put in gear.

Mel

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I think they are fine Mel and this is a " jerk the car forward" type of clunk, what I've read says " too much oil" or "not enough oil" so I need to make sure I've got the level right first before I look at other problems ( bands etc)

Yes. Make sure your car is fully warmed up before checking the fluid.

Mel

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Over filling the transmission can damage the transmission. As mentioned, warm it up and check it on a level surface in park. Your 1st gear / reverse clutch pack contains a beveled spring that is supposed to soften the shift when that pack is engaged. It is possible that over the years that beveled spring may be flattening out making the engagement a little harder. The beveled spring is there for comfort, and will not affect the operation of the transmission. Another possibility is that something has caused the spring/valve that controls the line pressure in the transmission to cause a higher transmission fluid pressure. If this is the case, you would notice harder shifting into 2nd and 3rd as well.

Back