• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Foam Backed Headliner

whelessray

Hello all. I am very new to this game. I just bought a 67 coupe that I am restoring. I have all the original stuff (289 numbers match, etc.) but I am putting a 351C in it. This is for fun. I will worry about resale value some other time. My question is has anyone used the foam backed headliner material for sale on ebay rather than the stock headliner or or the one piece headliners?

Welcome!

I just finished installing the one piece abs headliner from Mustangs to Fear this last weekend. Was not a tough job, but took some adjusting to make it work. I installed the foam backed one in a fox body, but not an early Mustang.

"guruatbol" said:
I like it, but how do you attach it?

Mel

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

+2. You'd need the one-piece headliner mentioned above, otherwise there's nothing to attach it to. I also have the one-piece and would like to cover it with something.

Ray,
I assume that you will give the fabric to a headliner install shop so they can sew it up and install it using the factory bow supports?

I am researching buying ABS sheets to make the base for the headliner to attach to. Also, using ABS for the door liners. A sheet of ABS 48" X 96" costs $30.00. Here is link to a discussion concerning using ABS for door liners. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/arch ... tml. From what I have learned so far, you can use a heat gun to form the ABS . So, form it to the roof and attach the foam backed headliner. Now, this is just an idea. It if works, the cost is one-third of the one piece system.

The one piece headliners that are sold for $300.00 are made of ABS. A sheet of ABS costs $36 from US Plastics. Here is the link: http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.a ... lts. Buy two sheets, mold into the roof with heat gun and attach foam backed headliner. Sounds easy. I am sure there are things I have not thought of. As for door liners, these would be much better than cardboard!

Sure sounds like a lot of work. Think I'd rather spend that time smoking some fish. :thum

Craig, I think you are right. In fact, I may have talked myself out of it. $300.00 bucks is not much considering the total cost of this thing. :bow Here is a pic of the ABS roof in 2008 in an old car:

Attachments

• ABS Headliner.jpg
    ABS Headliner.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 50
I just can't imagine the amount of time to be spent forming ABS to fit anywhere like a regular headliner.

"cmayna" said:
Sure sounds like a lot of work. Think I'd rather spend that time smoking some fish. :thum
I'd imagine that smoking a fatty would be more enjoyable than smoking a fish.

after installing a one piece ABS headliner, I would be hard pressed to make one myself. There is a lot of fit and finish issues especially where it meets the side windows and windshield. The Mustangs to Fear headliner is custom fit so that it slides beneath the windshield rubber and the windlace on the side windows hold it in place. It is not the perfect fit, but heck these cars all vary in shape, but it does come out quite nice. Having a vinyl grain to it, it looks good as delivered or no doubt it could be covered. For now, mine is as delivered. I am pleased with it, and much easier than a stock headliner. I applaud you for trying something different, but it looks to be like hours of frustrating work.

"kb3" said:
after installing a one piece ABS headliner, I would be hard pressed to make one myself. There is a lot of fit and finish issues especially where it meets the side windows and windshield. The Mustangs to Fear headliner is custom fit so that it slides beneath the windshield rubber and the windlace on the side windows hold it in place. It is not the perfect fit, but heck these cars all vary in shape, but it does come out quite nice. Having a vinyl grain to it, it looks good as delivered or no doubt it could be covered. For now, mine is as delivered. I am pleased with it, and much easier than a stock headliner. I applaud you for trying something different, but it looks to be like hours of frustrating work.
+1 If you want yours black, you are good to go. If another color, It only took one can to paint it (spray dye).

I don't drink alcoholic beverages, but it seems to me the time it would take to make it look even 1/2 as god as the MTF part would be more than the cost of the part and this would leave more time for beer!

I have some info on how to do a foam headliner on one of these and a car that need a headliner. I am likely to not do it because I think it is way too much work. Oh, did I mention that Work is a four letter word?

Mel

I would definitely buy the pre molded one. ABS is easy to heat and bend, but the complex shape needed to make it look good would be hard to mold by hand.

I bought a MTF one for my fastback. It is in the car now, but the interior isn't finished yet. I'm going to cover mine with the same vinyl that I covered the doors, seats, and all of the interior fiberglass parts with.

Back