• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

folddown seat adjustment

kb3

So, thanks to help from several people here, I was able to get the interior panels installed in the fastback. Now we are working on the rear seat. We got it all bolted in and found out it won't fold up. The folding part is too close to the rear panel. I adjusted the folding part as far forward as it would go, short of slotting the holes more. Anybody have any pointers?

When you say rear panel, are you referring to the rear side panel? And when you say "The folding part" are you referring the the seat's back panel that one would lean against or the curved panel that is attached to the seat back panel?

I think he was referring to the middle seat back panel to the rear fixed panel... From what I recall the hinge bolts to the floor with two screws. When I took my donor pieces apart there were shims on one side... I'm wondering if your panels are not even to each other, and that perhaps you need to shim it up some. Also, double check that the chrome trim is properly seated to the respective panels. If the carpet is folded past the edge, that could possible be pushing the trim too far out. Is there room to move the rear panel back further? How much of a gap between the two panels do you currently have?

"stangg" said:
I think he was referring to the middle seat back panel to the rear fixed panel... From what I recall the hinge bolts to the floor with two screws. When I took my donor pieces apart there were shims on one side... I'm wondering if your panels are not even to each other, and that perhaps you need to shim it up some. Also, double check that the chrome trim is properly seated to the respective panels. If the carpet is folded past the edge, that could possible be pushing the trim too far out. Is there room to move the rear panel back further? How much of a gap between the two panels do you currently have?

Yes, you have it correct. It is between the seat back and rear fixed panel. The gap between the two is very small. On the 65 (maybe all of them) the rear fixed panel's location is designated by the seat hinge base as it screws into the tab on the hinge. I have checked the chrome and carpet as you suggested, I think another 1/8" would be enough for the two panels to pass each other during the hinge process. I am contemplating slotting the hinge holes to move the folding panels forward and redrilling the locating hole for the rear fixed panel back 1/8". I know it shouldn't be necessary, but I can't think of what else I am missing.

What size gaps do you guys have between the seat back panel and the fixed rear panel?

You mean this gap? If so, mine is 3/8".

enu9yje7.jpg

"cmayna" said:
You mean this gap? If so, mine is 3/8".

enu9yje7.jpg

Yep...that is the gap. Mine is probably 3/16" at the most. Too tight for the panels to pass. Now to figure out the best way to spread it. What holds down the rear fixed platform in your car? Mine has 4 machine screws through the carpet into the brackets beneath it.

thanks

I thought the seat hinges had elongated holes for forward/rearward adjustment of the seat panel? I have pictures somewhere.

"cmayna" said:
I thought the seat hinges had elongated holes for forward/rearward adjustment of the seat panel? I have pictures somewhere.

They do have elongated holes, and as such allow the seat back to move forward and aft. I have moved them all the way forward to make room for the fixed panel. Unfortunately, the fixed panel is indexed off the seat hinges as it bolts directly to them (circled in red). If there was anymore room in the slots to move the seat forward, the fixed panel relation would follow. I would think it should fit better than it does, but understand the parts are from many different cars.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    49 KB · Views: 18
Took me awhile to go through my archieves of pics but found these two showing blue tape on the small platform which you circled in your pics, Ken. The only reason I would normally use blue tape is with plans to reclocate the holes which you circled. I must have mounted the folding seat in place, put the rear platform panel in place locating it exact correct position after I fold the seat down a couple times. Then with something like a sharpened bicycle spoke, stuck it down through the hidden forward holes in the platform and scratched into the tape where I needed the new holes.

e6e6avup.jpg

gube3aqa.jpg

We finally got it in, but most likely it will come out again for more adjustments like you explained on yours Craig. The gap is tight, but the panels just pass one another with a slight rubbing. I will wait until after Vegas before I rework it. Thanks for the comments, it looks like you may have seen the same problem.

Back