• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

ford gas v10

blue65coupe

Anybody have any experience with 'em? I'm looking to get another "puller" vehicle and know the reliability of the 7.3 diesel. What about the v-10 gas engine and any issues they may have?

tia

I know Mel, the bus driver on the other site, has an Excursion with a V10. Maybe shoot him a PT. Wouldn't ya just feel like a wussy though not having the diesel? :hide2

Pretty much Ryan. I will only go with the 7.3 from Ford or else look at a Chevy. I've talked to a guy that has a '96 F350 crew cab, 7.3, 4x4 with 90K on the clock after he "mentioned" he may want to sell his truck. The thing is freakin' cherry but when it comes time to talk, I hear "well, I still don't know what I want to do". But hey, I drive a Taurass for a dd.

Wow, a '96 power stroke with only 90K, that's practically new! That would be a great score. Good luck in your search Duane.

Hate the things, and I don't even own one. They're heavy as all hell, don't make that much power for what they are, get crappy mileage, and they like to blow spark plugs just like the Triton 4.6's and 5.4's. Get yourself a 7.3, or a Duramax.

since it seems i'm the only one here that actually owns one, i can give you direct experience.
never blown a spark plug out.
it pulls my 28' travel trailer with ease.
gas is cheaper than diesel.
mileage sucks.
they're cheap now because their mileage sucks.

I put on a full Gale Banks intake, exhaust, chip kit and the mileage improved about 30%....pretty amazing.

Got one in my house, a 34' Fleetwood RV. Pulling my '07 in a 24' box trailer that was overloaded, we got 9 mpg. The engine never missed a beat cruising at 65+. No problems here and good power being stock.

without the trailer, i would regularly get 11-12 mpg in the Excursion.
after the Banks kit, I get 14-15.
still not great, but that's a helluva percentage improvement.

Back