• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Fraud or fool?

RustyRed

I found an early 70's model Formula 400 type Firebird for sale and I've been talking to the owner about buying it but starting to think I am glad I am going to pass on the deal.

Car has the 400 badges on the side...guy said he pulled the original "smog heads" and put some heads off a late 60's GTO on it. All things considered it's really nice...4 speed, new rims, interior redone, etc.

The issue is I finally got around to asking the guy for the vin...it decodes as a 350 car, opps.

The guy told me he bought the car off of someone that goes around buying classics to resell them. I am wondering if the car even has a 400 in it but clearly someone spent $10 buying the fender badges hoping they would get more when selling the car.

Either the guy is a fraud or a fool but I checked with a Pontiac buddy of mine and he said most of the guys in his world are pretty anal about keeping cars pretty original. Guess a lot of it has to do with their historical society or whatever...

Back