• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Front and Rear Glass Install Questions

68stang289

I have been reading up on installing the back glass (and possibly the front glass as well) on my 70 fastback myself but had a few questions for those of you have done this yourself.

Back Glass:

I have read two different schools of thought on the install - one using a 1/4" rope inside the seal and one using a plastic spatula like tool to slide the window under the seal. For anyone who has done this, which way was easier? I tend to think the non-Ford manual way and using the plastic spatula type tool would be the easier of the two.

I have also read two different thoughts on using the sealant. I have heard the repop seals are very prone to leaking and that I should pipe the sealant into the outer lip of the seal before placing it on the car. Then put the rear glass on and work it around into place and follow that by piping in sealant to the inner lip of the seal. Some people say to use a bunch, some say that a little dab will do ya. Anyone with experience in this car to chime in about it?

As far as getting the rear trim to pop into place with little damage, any tips or tricks for that?

Front Glass:

I seem to recall there being two small pieces that attached to the A pillar with screws and they had little rubber insulators on them but can't seem to find those. Are they reproduced and are there only 2 (one per side)?

Difficulty level of installing the front glass for someone who has never installed glass before (and only seen it done once before)?

To me, the rope has worked the best in years past.

As for sealing. I would put sealant between the metal frame and the rubber and the rubber and the glass....then install. Then pull the rubber up from the glass and insert more sealant. Then I would do the same under the rubber next to the metal. Fill it under the seal in both locations and then clean up the excise after you squeeze the seal into place against the car/glass. Keep the sealant under the rubber....no need for smearing it around. Also make sure that the metal is clean.

Have a helper.....do not put to much pressure on the glass....it will break.

If using the rope method and putting in the sealant before laying in the glass, doesn't this create a big mess when you start pulling it out?

Yep.....you go easy on the sealant attempting to keep it on the side of the groove that lays against the metal. Then reseal once installed.

I have been dealing with this on my '66. I still have to reseal the rear, rubber to metal area. Finally got the front sealed and I had that one done at a local shop. Removing the trim is a pain......

Looks like I need to do a you tube video for you. I make them for all the products that we sell, the guys love them. Go to our facebook and look at the one I did on block sanding. Rich

Yeah that would be fantastic. That's actually a good idea, I may go search youtube to see if any videos show up.

Rope method is pretty easy to do. Although I did it without bedding compound (so far). I have a crapload of spare windows so I figured I'd give it a try. Not hard at all

I will be painting a 67 fastback this week and will install the glass, and see if I can do a video. I just finished a video on how to install the drip rail mldgs. on the same car. Rich.

:nta
Called a buddy of mine about replacing my front windshield and installing my rear... he quoted 250 with me supplying the seals. Hard to beat getting a new windshield.

That's a really good price. The best I have been quoted is $150 for the windshield and $200 to install the front and rear glass with me supplying the seals. If I could find someone I trusted to put it in for $250 with a new windshield I'd jump on it.

"mustangstofear" said:
I will be painting a 67 fastback this week and will install the glass, and see if I can do a video. I just finished a video on how to install the drip rail mldgs. on the same car. Rich.

Rich, a video of how to install the trim after the glass is in, particularly the pieces on the top of the windshield for 65-68, would be awesome.

"68stang289" said:
If using the rope method and putting in the sealant before laying in the glass, doesn't this create a big mess when you start pulling it out?

Lay the uninstalled glass across a cushioned pair of sawhorses.

Place the uninstalled seal on top of the glass, laying it out as it will install.

Fill the seal's interior channel with a bead of bedding compound and stretch it onto the glass.

Fill the seal's outer channel with a bead of bedding compound.

Gently lay the "rope" (parachute cord works great!) into the channel on top of the bedding compound with the two ends of the rope protruding at any corner.

Place the glass into position on the car (procedures are the same for either front or rear glass).

Starting at the corner where the two ends of the rope are protruding, apply gentle pressure from teh outside of the glass inward towards the car while pulling on the rope, which lifts the inner edge of the channel around the car's pinch weld.

Working slowly/methodically, continue this process around the entire perimeter of the glass.

Yes, the removed rope will have bedding compound on it. Wrap the excess removed rope around your hands as you remove the rope. Cleaning your hands is easier than cleaning the interior of the car.

Difficulty level = an idiot could do it as it requires very little skill.

"68stang289" said:
So you're saying I should get someone else to do this huh? :lol

:wstup

No, Dave is asking you to hire him!

Videos are the only way to go. I did the drip rail in one take, I told Michele if we had any bloopers leave them in. I get a kick out of people messing up. Rich.

Back