• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

front end

jpyoung

I am having issues with my front end. It started when I noticed the headers had less clearance than usual and the front fenders dropped to about 1/4 inch from the tires. My car is a 65 with global west UCA's. After talking with Shaun at Street or track and I believe I also talked to someone at Opentracker, the concensus was possible binding or a shock problem. Put new Bilsteins on to no avail.

Attempt number two was a one inch coil insulator and roller perches. I now have about 2 inches clearance on the tires and am experiencing what AZ Pete did (front end rising.) I figure my first step is to get the car aligned but would like to know what specs you recommend for a non track car. I went to the Opentracker site and posed this question, but haven't gotten an answer. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

John (opentracker) is usually working during the day (unlike some of us) and usually replies later in the evening and early in the am.

I decent street setting would be

1/8" toe in
+2* castor
-.5* camber

If you can get more than positive 2* castor, it won't hurt.

"silverblueBP" said:
John (opentracker) is usually working during the day (unlike some of us) and usually replies later in the evening and early in the am.

I decent street setting would be

1/8" toe in
+2* castor
-.5* camber

If you can get more than positive 2* castor, it won't hurt.
that's pretty much where mine is set and it works great

"jpyoung" said:
Thanks for the info, will try to find a good local shop to get it done.

If you live near the Florida panhandle, there's an old geezer here that does alignments for alcohol!

Try to find an "old school" alignment shop. The guy locally, other than Mid, has no electronic gauges. All manual and does an excellent job. Also, a lot of shops will not set the car to your specs. Check with other classic owners.

Will do. There is a good auto repair shop nearby that will recommend someone I'm sure (they don't do alignments but do other work on classics. Thanks again

Dang, you guys don't need me at all.

The specs. Mark gave you are right on. That's what we set our cars too.

What the hell is this :sb

"lethal289" said:
That would be Marks short bus. The one he rode to school on!

Somehow this reply slipped by my smart alec alert system (SAAS).

It made me choke on my own spit :bird

:rofl :rofl

"jpyoung" said:
I am having issues with my front end. It started when I noticed the headers had less clearance than usual and the front fenders dropped to about 1/4 inch from the tires. My car is a 65 with global west UCA's. After talking with Shaun at Street or track and I believe I also talked to someone at Opentracker, the concensus was possible binding or a shock problem. Put new Bilsteins on to no avail.

Sounds like a ride height problem.

"jpyoung" said:
Attempt number two was a one inch coil insulator and roller perches. I now have about 2 inches clearance on the tires and am experiencing what AZ Pete did (front end rising.) I figure my first step is to get the car aligned but would like to know what specs you recommend for a non track car. I went to the Opentracker site and posed this question, but haven't gotten an answer. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Most of the times this goes away with a decent alignment. When you added the coil spring insulator and raised the car the alignment would of changed.

Let us know how it drives when you've had it aligned. Oh, and make sure you TELL them the specs you want. Don't let them 'look it up in their system'.

Thanks Shaun. Since that original post I have found out that my lower control arms are shot. I'm going to replace them and have it aligned. I'll let you know how it comes out. I'm out of country till the end of the month.

FWIW, I run my car at +4.2* caster. Makes for better steering feedback and return-to-center, especially with the roller idler. Also helps keep the car going straight down the road. I might back it off when I get around to swapping my 16:1 steering box in.

Back