• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Front grill molding paint Poll

janschutz

Corn Hauler
I am about to get my car painted and can not make up my mind on the front grill molding. It needs to be painted so do ya'll like.

original
Painted%20Grill%20Moulding2.jpg

or painted body color
Painted%20Grill%20Moulding.jpg

Right now I am leaning to body color but leaving the inside lip as aluminum.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the original best but your idea of painting the center body color and leaving the inner/outer edges original is not too bad either. I think you need that contrast to make it work.

I've never seen/thought of painting that area body color before..... but I like it, a lot. It's funny how one little area can make so much of a difference. Painting that area body color totally changes the appearance of the front-end of the car.

Unless you're going for the monochrome thing all over the car, I'd use the original.

I sorta did the monochrome thing on mine, yet left my wide molding original. I'm wondering if yellow would look right...

on my original 67 I stripped the silver off with paint thinner and had the whole thing look polished. The car was "Brandy Wine metallic" Burgundy and I thought it looked cool almost chrome on the dark color.

Here's a pic of my wide grille molding. Since I have a black car, it's not as dramatic as the red Mustang pic, but you can see I left the inner & outer lips natural/polished.

23791070226_large.jpg

No! Do them body color! That looks amazing. It really does change the appearance of the front end totally.

Your car is pretty original looking, I'd stick with stock. If you had other color keyed items like mirrors, tail panel, custom hood, etc. I'd say body color. That red one looks really nice but goes with other changes as well.

Jon

I painted mine black and like garner I left the inside lip as well as the outside trim original. I think it looks great and almost frames the grill.

I found an old pic of my 1st car and scanned it in. You can sorta see that I removed the paint and left the whole thing shiny. I kinda liked it against the dark color.

Back