• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Front shock lower rear bolt spins

spitse

Trying to replace some front suspension parts on my 65 coupe. The rear lower bolt on the shock broke loose and just spins so I can’t get the nut off to remove. So I am not able to get the spring compressor in. I have the spindle loose and going to take it off.

I am replacing all the front suspension parts. Upper and lower a arms, ball joints, spring perch, shocks, springs and sway bar. Going to replace the steering components as well once I have the suspension done.

What are some alternatives to either compress the springs while the shock is still in so I can cut the shock bolt, or remove the upper arm safely/spring perch and then release spring tension once off?

Any help welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Try using a screwdriver to apply pressure on the underside of the nut and then try to remove the nut. If that doesn't work, use a sawsall or cut-off wheel to cut the bolt off if you can, as you'll need to replace that shock anyway due to stripped threads.

Jack up the UCA so it compresses the spring a bit.
Before removing the front lower shock nut , cut the lower back nut wit a grinder/blowtorch.
Then the front lower nut .
Lower the jack so there is no tension anymore from the spring.
Now you loose the upper bolts of the shock.
my2cents.

Back