• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Fuel, Oil Pressure + Coolant Temp Gauges Dead

hivewax

While I was driving the '66 today, the stock gauges for fuel oil pressure, and coolant temperature go out. I pull over to check under the hood and nothing seems out of the ordinary. When I got back home, I checked the ground straps on the engine and all the wiring around the fuel tank underneath and in the trunk... everything seems good except the wire to the sending unit that goes through the trunk and out back of the gas tank looks old with a crack in the insulated covering. I drove the car maybe 100 miles like this and the car still runs fine after 3 starts. Headlights and turn signals work. Another thing worth noting is the tachometer doesn't work all the time when starting the car. Sometimes it would go off or on some point while driving. I've been told numerous times that the wiring under the dash is "rigged up."

What should I look for before going to a professional?

Bad constant voltage regulator on the back of the inst. cluster....if the instruments are stock type.

Thanks. I hope it's something that simple. When I take off the cluster, I'll look for the CVR and replace it.

Back