• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Fuel pump on a kill switch

Kats66Pny

Ok so I decided to eliminate the ignition kill, and only opt to have the fuel pump on one. Where would be a good constant hot I could tap into for the switch? And where are some options to hide the switch? :confu

I would not use a constant hot....with that, you always have to use the switch every time you start and stop the engine. Wire it thru a keyed hot so you only have to flip the fuel switch when you want the added security. Wire it to a keyed ON power source, not one that is also an ACC power source.

Oh. That's how it was wired up before. I had to flip the switch before I started the car and had to flip it off when I turned the car off. Of course PO did it and we all know the way he did things wasn't the best. lol

I did something a little different than the typical fuel pump kill before I switched over to efi. Every time I turned on the key, I hit my momentary switch to engage the fuel pump, then when the key turned off, the fuel pumps turned off. I don't have the washers portion on my car, so I used that for the momentary. So, when I turned on the ignition, I just pulled the wiper knob, and turned on the pumps...then started the car. It's not a normal relay, but a latched relay, so it stays on until you turn the key off. By using the washer switch, I didn't have to add a hidden switch that could be found.

It didn't take very long to get into the habit of engaging the fuel pumps before starting the car. and if you don't...there's enough fuel in the carb to get you about 1 block before stalling out, or getting back in the house when warming it up and hearing it start to sputter. Don't ask how I know that.......

I did it this way, because I figured if someone did try to steal the car, they wouldn't get very far before it ran out of gas. We all know these old cars aren't that difficult to get in and hotwire. 'Cause what good is a security measure if you don't remember to hit the toggle when you park. This way the pumps turn themselves off when you turn off the key.

"66gt350" said:
I did it this way, because I figured if someone did try to steal the car, they wouldn't get very far before it ran out of gas. We all know these old cars aren't that difficult to get in and hotwire.

That's why I figured I'd keep the kill switch for the fuel pump. I had 2 kills..one for ignition and one for the fuel and both had to be on in order to start the car. I thought about putting both back on but figured one should be enough. I do plan on adding dummy switches on my console for looks and to make people think you have to flip all kind of switches on to start it. Oh and I also have a battery kill on the back but that is visible and if any thief knows anything about cars, he'll know to turn the battery on.

On a 66, you can use the connection between the pink resistor wire and the ignition wire (red/green) near the ignition to power your fuel pump. You'll just need to fashion a pigtail that mates with the ignition wire (female) and provides two female plugs: one for the fuel pump and the other for the resistor wire.

To use this effectively, you'll have to put the key in RUN a few seconds before going to CRANK to get the fuel up to pressure.

The only time I have had to wait on fuel pressure was if the car was not driven for several days....a week or more. The car will have fuel just like with a manual pump.

I might have this fuel pump thing worked out. Car club guy wants me to get ahold of him today and he's gonna help me figure out how to wire it up. Something about wiring it to a relay and putting a switch on the ground side of the relay. :shrug

Back