• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

fuses question...

lleno

Where d I get fuses for my 66 coupe[289-4v]?? 2.5, 7.5, 14, 20 amp IIRC......I'm pretty sure I went to pep boys and they had some fuses but they were a bit too long to fit in the fuse box...Help needed!!!! Thanks...P.S.- how difficult is it to replace the fuse box?? Mine is o.k. but a new one would give some peace of mind....

I still don't have a 2.5 amp fuse. I checked everywhere locally. Heck, I even tried NPD, but they seem to be having a hard time keeping them in stock also. Mid may be able to lead us in the right direction.

Old style glass fuses are getting harder and harder to find in the part stores. The Mustang catalog companies carry them, but at outrageous prices. I bulk order them from major distributors of electronics.

Ford never could get their act together regarding these fuses. They changed the physical size of 14, 20, and 30 amp fuses, and changed from 2.5 to 4 amp fuses for the dash lamps. Even I can't get everything straight without referring to the fuse box itself!

Anyone who wants a set of fuses basically at cost, just drop me a line.

I just checked my box, it has a 2.5,7.5,14[x2]and a 20 amp fuses.I have been able to locatethem at chain stores, but the one time I bought some they were the wrong size,[a bit too long], has this been anyone elses experience???

"lleno" said:
I just checked my box, it has a 2.5,7.5,14[x2]and a 20 amp fuses.I have been able to locatethem at chain stores, but the one time I bought some they were the wrong size,[a bit too long], has this been anyone elses experience???
You have to be carefull witht he type of fuse. For example, the 2.5 is AGA, most auto parts stores stock AGU, or 3GA... Theres plenty of different types, you have to be sure to get the correct ones.

Fuses come in a variety of lines: SFE, AGA, AGW, AGC. Some lines have constant length; others change with amperage ratings. Thankfully, they are all 1/4" in diameter, but that's about it that's common. In 1966, all are SFE except the damn 20 amp fuse, which is AGX, and the 2.5 which is 1AG, but the AGA version is a good substitute.

Are the AGA fuses a substitute for all the fuses, or just the 2.5?? I bought AGC,s... See , I learned a valuable new fact today..this has been bugging me for a while. Just to get it straight,I need a 2.5[1ag],7.5 and 14[sfe]and the 20[agx], is this correct?? I'm still going to get a few sets from you mid, but this is good info to have on file...

AGA's cannot be substituted for all of the fuses; only the 2.5 amp ones.

Back