• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Glass Install, Must I use Sealant?

Coleman

The reason I ask, I am trouble shooting, testing and tuning my new engine+tranny install with plans to tear it all apart for paint. The front windshield is installed with no sealant and its still in. It is not a daily driver and will never see rain. I don't want my rear glass to blow out!? So do I need the sealant or not?

When the body shop put my new windshield in they did not put on sealant. They said I did not need it. Maybe not but every time I washed my car it leaked like there was a hole in the cowl. I took it back to them and they squired some under the weatherstripping. Still leaked like mad. I finally gave up and paid a glass guy to come install it. Haven't had a problem since then.

You can drive without it, but if you want a dry interior you need it. It is hard to wash your car without water.

Mel

Jerry, as I recall your plan was to drive the car for a while before painting it. I think it is a great idea to leave off the sealer for now, given the plan to disassemble it sooner or later. I would guess that you will not be washing the car before you paint it.

If you never wash your car and you don't get caught in the rain you will be fine. What bone head says you don't need to seal these windshields? Of course you have to seal them, people don't seal them because it is a messy job. Rich.

Back