• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Gluing down fold down seat carpeting

cmayna

DILLIGARA?
Donator
I need to get ready and recarpet gtscode's new reat seat carpeting. What is the best adhesive to use and does anyone have any words of wisdom as to how to lay it down without any air pockets, etc?

I used 3M "super" trim adhesive ... Once it's skinned over on both pieces you can place a sheet of wax paper between the two pieces and draw the wax paper out as you press the carpet to the panel. The adhesive shouldn't stick to the paper so it allows you to work smaller sections without fear sticking to the wrong spot.

since the carpet gets chrome on all sides to hold it down, the 3M spraycan stuff will work. anything needing a little more grip would need some of the DAP landau top adhesive in the blue can (you will need an old paint gun to spray this). as far as laying the carpet, best way we used to do it is by fitting the carpet on the panel, then folding half of it back. spray the glue on the exposed panel & the half of the carpet folded back. when that is tacky, "roll" that side down with your hand from center to the edges, then fold the other side back & repeat. doing it this way will keep you from getting air pockets in the center that are prone to happen when doing it all at one time.

"SELLERSRODSHOP" said:
since the carpet gets chrome on all sides to hold it down, the 3M spraycan stuff will work. anything needing a little more grip would need some of the DAP landau top adhesive in the blue can (you will need an old paint gun to spray this).

There is a big difference between the 3M trim adhesive and the super trim adhesive... The "super" trim adhesive is designed for vinyl tops, headliners, hood insulation and such, so it should be more than sufficient for carpet with or without trim.

Is it best the cut to fit the carpet before gluing or glue down now and then trim off the excess afterwards?

I also used the 3M super trim adhesive. I trimmed afterwards, leaves more room for error. The trim covers any slight imperfections also.

I used the old pieces of carpet for a pattern per Sam's site. Lots of great info on that site.

Like someone else said it does not have to be exact since the trim does cover the edges.

I did not have any issues with air bubbles the carpet laid down just fine.

I used the 3m spray adhesive and just followed the directions. It takes a bit to set up so you can slide it around a bit before it sets for good.

Back