• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Got a gun, bare metal question

Ok I bought a cheap harbor freight gun just to shoot primer. Before it really starts to rain again i plan to sand blast the car and primer it. So working from bare metal what do I need? Just a metal cleaner then spray the primer? As the car will be sitting outside, will just the epoxy primer work or should I do it like this: sand blast, metal cleaner, etching primer, then epoxy primer, and possibly a primer sealer?

i always get a little concerned when i read about how someone plans to sandblast their car.

pick an epoxy primer and then read the product/tech sheet. it should recommend how the surface should be prepared.

Sand Blast.
Air Blow it dry.
Wax/Grease remover with clean lint-free rag.
Immediately spray epoxy primer.

The only thing to protect epoxy primer from the elements in the long run is a couple of color coats. Even if you don't do this, you'll still have to scuff everything, apply wax/grease remover, re-apply epoxy primer, then your color coats. Letting it sit without a sealer (primer sealer isn't good enough) will last a couple of months at best, then you'll have to sand/scuff the epoxy to provide a mechanical tooth for a new set of epoxy.

Ideally, you need to apply color coats over the epoxy within 2 days for a chemical bond. If longer than that, you'll need to scuff it. If the car was inside and protected, you could keep only the original epoxy for maybe 1 year, then scuff and shoot color.

So is it better to shoot a coat of paint on it just to protect it since it's outside? Then paint it right down the road. Just want to get the body to a protected state till i have the resources to doma high quality job.

Why would you got to the expense and effort of laying down a color coat only to have to sand it all down again to paint later? Blast the body clean (with the right type of media, which is NOT sand), wipe it down and spray with epoxy. Put a cover on it and call it done for now. Typical epoxies are subject to UV damage so the cover is important.

All you have to so is spray it with SPI black epoxy it has been changed so it will hold up in the sun

"68angrypony" said:
I have a can of blue paint and I just want to make sure its protected through winter and for the coming year etc.

you're going through the effort of stripping it to bare metal and then you plan to put on a coat of blue paint (like an enamel or lacquer?) as your base?

Back