• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Got Laid-off....

mmw68

Well, I thought I should share a little bit of personal info.. I got laid off last week, They are closing the Austin office that I helped build up in the last three years. Our business unit was bought buy a very big company, and after 5 month of looking at the numbers, they have decided to combine services to the home office in VA. So, Iam networking like mad looking for the next exciting gig! :thu

Saw the writing on the wall about a month ago, but never thought it would happen this fast, and with only two weeks notice, and two weeks severance. That's big companies these days. If anyone in the Austin area knows of a great executive recruiter, or want to see my linkedin profile please PM me.

On the upside, I can finish a few things on the mustang! (Just need to keep a eye on the budget)

Thank for letting me vent - Mark

Hey, Mark. I know lots of people in Austin. Pm me about what industry, what kind of job, etc and I will pick my brain.

Sorry to hear about this. Wish you the best. Look at it as a small break from work to get some things done, send out some feelers and then hit it hard when your ready.

His bus is too old and hard to drive. I've seen it. You want one of the new ones! With those who cares how many people are on them....Just tune it out and drive it like a the fine caddy she is!

Mel

Again I do not know what industry you are in, but I been laid off way too many times in recent years. If you have not filed for unemployment do so asap. In cali it is all done online, I am sure it is the same for you. Get your resume up to date and sign up on monster.com.

fd

That really sucks. Good luck on the new job. I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason and it is for the best in the long run. Even if we don't understand when we are going through it.

"68EFIvert" said:
That really sucks. Good luck on the new job. I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason and it is for the best in the long run. Even if we don't understand when we are going through it.

+ 1 here!!!!!!!!!!!

Mel

"ko67" said:
and I will pick my brain.

That won't take long :roll

Seriously though...sorry to hear about your job situation.

I don't know anyone really in Austin except my sister in law and her husband. He's a CFA that was laid off several years ago and started some sort of financial planning / investment firm.

I am pretty much always networking and keeping in touch with partners at my old firm, etc. Never know when something might happen and I prefer to have spoken with someone that I am calling for a reference in the last decade or so...

Been there done that.

Good luck onthe future.

Its gut wrenching to wonder about the future I know. As with hindsight when you get new work you will wonder why you worried.

Sorry to hear the news, same thing happened to me ~9mos. ago due to the new health care reimbursement changes. The 'small' (23 facilities) hospital co. I worked for was bought by a larger one when our owner decided he didn't want to be paid less reimbursement and have more regulations to comply with. The new bigger co. decided my job wasn't needed like most of the corp. office and move it all to PA. I had the best luck on Careerbuilder, headhunters and had only been on linkedin for ~2mos. so I hadn't built up a large networking there yet. Found my current job on CB but took a pay cut. Took 3-4mos. to secure a job after notice.

Oh, and follow up on all resume submissions you are interested in, I had a good one contact me 3 mos. after submission and 1 wk. into my new job asking me to interview...

Start cutting back non essentials now if you can if you want to stay afloat longer.

Jon

I'm in the same boat as you i just quit my HVAC job 2 months ago and have been looking for work around the area in the middle of nowhere.... I dont give up hope and have been sending my resume everywhere, I'm not worried though any kind of job will be easier than lifting HVAC units up and down stairways on a 2 wheel cart :hide Hang in there.

Sorry to hear about you job loss. Keep your head up.
On a larger note, I honestly believe we are headed for tougher times when the defense budgets get cut. All of those 'rich' middle class workers that provide a lot of the trickle down economics $ are going to put many more out of work.

Thanks everyone, I've got a few casual meeting set up next week with some recruiters, and a meeting on Monday with one of my vendors who might need my expertise. Might not be at the salary I was making, but with the way things are looking with the economy, I would be open to any decent offers. It all about networking, I've spent more time at hight tech happy hours and recruiting events in the last week then I have in the last 3 years!

Sorry to hear it, man. Glad you are keeping a positive outlook and looking hard for a new position.
Good Luck!

Back