• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Gratuitous puppy pics!

A

Anonymous

A little over a year has passed since our dog; Jeb died. We finally decided to become volunteer puppy raisers for CCI (Canine Companions for Independence) and try to give back some of the selfless love Jeb provided.. For those that didn't know, Jeb was a facility dog that Deb used in her therapy work with older adults, young kids and those with mental and physical disabilities. Jeb came from CCI in 2000 and was an extraordinary dog that brought a lot of joy to a lot of people.

Anywho, we picked up Ansel today at Kansas City airport after his trip from Columbus, Ohio. We've been on the service end a long time, but this will be the first puppy we've attempted to train in over 10 years. I see visions of sleepless nights in the future....we'll see.

Here's a pic after we got him to the house tonight, a 22 lb play'n machine!

Ansel3192010.jpg

Ansel actually has a Blog - http://anselcci.blogspot.com/ and you can learn more about CCI here - CCI

Re: Gratuitous puppy pic!

:wstup Pretty good looking pup you got there. How long to you get him before he moves on? Or is deb going to use him with patients again?

Mark, is this your handy work?
Jebby%20drawing%20Nov%2008.JPG

We keep and train him till August 2011 and then he gets turned back in to CCI either as a breeder dog or more intensive training to become a service dog (hopefully).

"lethal289" said:
Mark, is this your handy work?

Uhhhh, no. That is from Deb's friend's son Riley. He drew that pic after Jeb died.

I think "Cruiser" would be a better name....and "PT" for short. :lol

What you are doing is good. Looks like a job with that one for sure.

Gratuitous puppy pic!

Good for you and good for Ansel. We had a German Shepherd that was a therapy dog. Went through a class/test to get her certified as a therapy dog. We bought her from a dog trainer. We went to group training and we also did personal protection training with her for a couple of years. Got an AKC Companion Dog title on her. Then the SWMBO got into Schutzhund and she earned a SCH 1 title on her. My SWMBO worked at CHOC. Becks became the pilot dog in the pet therapy program at the Hospital. She had 3 articles written about her regarding the pet therapy at CHOC. One was in some Dog magazine, the CHOC newsletter and an article in the newspaper. The only issue the SWMBO ever had at CHOC was the mascot CHOCobear came into the same room and Becks thought that it was a decoy and wanted to take a bite. The SWMBO polity asked CHOCobear to leave the room. Needless to say Becks was a very special part of the family. We lost her Christmas eve of 2001. We still have dogs and German Shepherds, but none will ever be as special to me as Becks was. fd

Nice looking pup Mark. The question is, how can you let him go after 18 months living with you? I know I couldn't do it.

"beach pony" said:
Nice looking pup Mark. The question is, how can you let him go after 18 months living with you? I know I couldn't do it.
+1

"beach pony" said:

I think after having Jeb for so long and getting to see all the great things he did, it would be the ultimate to have Ansel go on through advanced training and be placed with someone in need. These dogs really are special and we were/are lucky enough to work at both ends of the dog's life.

It will be hard to turn him in, but we could then start over with a new pup (if we don't fail Ansel)!!

We had originally planned to get a puppy at the end of May so we could avoid the nasty weather and give me time to put up a proper fenced area. Since that timing didn't work out, today I'm out putting up a temporary fenced area so he can run around off leash........in the blinding snow.

It never fails!

Never had to worry about Jeb heading out into the pasture, he hated crawling under barbed wire!

Yesterday it was 65*, I was in a short sleeve shirt and sitting outside waiting to pick up the dog.

Today, it's 30* with a mix of sleet, ice and blowing snow. The wind chill is F.....cold and I had to put up 200' of wire fence so we could let this little bugger run around.

I hate winter, we have 2'-3' drifts again :rp

TempfenceSmall.jpg

Damn, here I thought I would see pictures of "puppies", instead, it's a dog!!! :po

Back