• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

GTSCODE Build

gtscode

So here it is I will start my build thread!!!

I have been restoring for the last 5 years, doing almost all of the work myself. I have had a ton of help from Craig (cmayna) Jeff Tepper and Mike (KBMWRS) who are all members here.

Its hard to capture 5 years in a few shots. That car was bought with the 302 and C4 (automatic trans). I found an original correct 390 and toploader (manual trans). I stripped the engine bay and put in a new suspension, brakes, fule lines before the car was painted.

I removed the engine and trans during paint but the new suspension and fuel were toast after media blasting.

I used that as an excuse and re-stripped the engine bay and put in a state of the art suspension and new brakes, fuel lines. Everything is new or restored!

Re: 1967 GT 390 Fastback with Deluxe Interior

Pics when I bought the car on ebay. It was my dream car and I searched for over a year until I found it on eBay.

It had all the original specs I wanted but had a 302 and automatic trans in it.

15ab.jpg

4d53.jpg

51ff.jpg

1764.jpg

I never realized this was a Xmas car. I'm sure glad you painted it.

So...you media blasted the engine compartment after installing new suspension? What happened to the suspension components that damaged them so that you had to replace them again? Aside from a bit of sand getting into tie-rod boots and UCA/LCA ball joints, I can't imagine what would be so bad. The tie-rod boots and ball joints should have kept the sand out of them...

"Midlife" said:
I never realized this was a Xmas car. I'm sure glad you painted it.

So...you media blasted the engine compartment after installing new suspension? What happened to the suspension components that damaged them so that you had to replace them again? Aside from a bit of sand getting into tie-rod boots and UCA/LCA ball joints, I can't imagine what would be so bad. The tie-rod boots and ball joints should have kept the sand out of them...

No they really were not that bad it was an excuse to upgrade to all Opentracker front suspension. In fact Jeff Tepper has my old Scott Drake Upper and Lower Control arms and he may clean them up and use them.

Can you post a couple pics of the new paint?

The transformation of your car going from the green to the silver is one of the best examples I've ever seen of how a color change can completely change a car.

Cowl Painting and Cleaning

abrahamfh has asked about how I cleaned and painted my cowl and I thought I might as well add that here, redoing this post makes me realize why it has taken me 5 years to finish my car!!

This outlines a labor intensive way to clean and paint the lower cowl but without cutting anything, although I did drill two holes.

The short version is that when the car was blasted they blasted some of the inner cowl then when the car was painted some blasting media was still in the cowl and very little paint got to the lower cowl. This caused a lot of surface rust after the car was cut and buffed. I was worried it would get worse over time so I wanted to take care of it the right way.

I am going to detail the process as I think people with solid cowls could use this technique without cutting the cowl open.

To get my cowl stripped and painted I drilled a 1" hole in each side of the cowl as found on earlier mustangs. Then I made a scraper, a sanding block, a wire brush and foam brushes to get inside to clean and paint the cowl.

cowl1.JPG

I fed all the tools I made through the cowl hats, then connected an all thread rod to the various pieces. This allowed me to scrape, clean and paint all through the 1" hole. Essentially a long extension, getting the tools in through the hats.

cowl5.JPG

First was the scraper, I just cut off the handle and threaded the end with a die:

cowl6.JPG

The scraper worked perfectly and got everything very clean.

Then I used a sanding block which was just a piece of wood that I stapled scotch bright to and installed a coupling nut to allow me to screw the all thread in once the piece was inside the cowl.

cowl4.JPG

Then I used a wire brush on the end of the all thread to clean up anything left. I did this several times from each side of the cowl each time removing the tool through the vent on each side. It was looking very good at this point.

Then I painted the inside of the cowl with Master Series Silver which is a rust proof silver paint similar to POR-15.

I made some foam brushes by drilling them out and JB Welding coupling nuts in them.

cowl3.JPG

Then I poured the paint directly on to the lower cowl using funnels and soft vinyl tubing, this worked great, I took the picture with four funnels but only used two. I just waited for the paint to dry and pulled them back out no risk of drips on the vents.

cowl2.JPG

I also bent a paint brush and painted the sides of the cowl hats from both sides.

cowl7.JPG

Overall I am very pleased, I feel the cowl is now protected from rust.

Amazing, thanks Justin.

Really great imagination modifying all those tools to serve you well in such a tough area.

Thanks again, this is such a really great help.

I see a new hobby in your future: building ships in bottles. :ecit Impressive work. :10

Frank

I really wish I had done a proper build thread. Maybe someday I'll get more pics of some of the really cool things this car has.

Back