• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Had to rent this when visiting Indiana

blu67

Fun ride for sure.....
004360c1939124ce5d3f6e8714d41296.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s it! I’ve got a project page here that shows the progress. Be sure to take a look.

And believe me, Indiana in winter was not my first choice. It worked out and I want to get the car back home by June.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had to rent ????? No ford available ? No GT350R for rent ??? :p
I went with an Adrenaline Package through Hertz. It was only dollar or two more a day than a mid-sized import so I thought, WHY NOT!?
It would have been a Mustang, Camaro or a Challenger. They had to go to an affiliate to get the Challenger for me. Didn't have anything else and I have liked them since they came out. Didn't know it would be an R/T Hemi V8!

Last edited:
Challengers can be fun but they are a BIG car. You really realize if from the inside.
It is a big car, for sure. But the Sport Mode is really fun. Had a little fun with the long pedal on the right but not too much like I wanted. Those police in IN are sneaky.......

I went with an Adrenaline Package through Hertz. It was only dollar or two more a day than a mid-sized import so I thought, WHY NOT!?
It would have been a Mustang, Camaro or a Challenger. They had to go to an affiliate to get the Challenger for me. Didn't have anything else and I have liked them since they came out. Didn't know it would be an R/S Hemi V8!
Good for you !

I had some Rental-Karma in California last week that made up for all the dinky cars I've used on business trips. I arrived in San Jose for an overnight stay and went to the Avis counter to pick up my company-approved Yaris-type transportation. They weren't busy so I joked with the counter dude for a few minutes. He asked me if a two seater would work and I said, "Sure, If it's a Lamborghini!". He laughed and said they had none of those and handed me the keys to parking location M6. He told me the car will be in a Budget-Rental slot since they share territory. Up on the 5th floor of the parking garage, I found slot M6. It was a silver 2018 Mustang GT. The parking garage reverberated with a throaty roar when I fired up the 460 horsepower V8. As I drove to the office, the afternoon rain kept my elation in reign.

I was in town for only one night. My business meeting ran well into the evening. When I got off work, I drove to my hotel and at the recommendation of the counter person, walked over to the nearby In-N-Out joint and grabbed a 3x3 burger "Animal Style" from their "Secret Menu" (very good, by the way). I snarfed my burger and then walked over and jumped into the Mustang. The rain had subsided by this time. I drove down the winding expressway to Santa Cruz. The road could be a blast to drive, but the traffic was still pretty heavy at 10 PM. I try to conduct myself as a good driver and open it up only when it is safe and doesn't bother others. I continued through town and turned northbound on Highway One. I discovered with delight that the road was nearly abandoned. I couldn't see the beautiful ocean view since it was dark, but that simply allowed me to concentrate on the visceral experience of the car. The acceleration is addicting as hell, but I got my 'stang-fix'. The car is so loud, I was a bit concerned about disturbing the locals that may or may not have been nearby.

I continued exuberantly about 40 miles up to San Gregorio and then turned inland through the mountain roads. I started on the La Honda road, but I couldn't tell you where I wound up. I just drove where the road looked good. After a satisfying run, I unexpectedly popped out onto I-280 and cruised south back towards Santa Clara.

I arrived late back at my hotel and had to be up in just a few hours. I was a bit sleepy at my meeting, but it was worth it. I put 143 miles on the car in that excursion and it took over a half-tank of gas on the drive back to the airport. The car was well used, but not (too) abused.

Last edited:
Sounds like you had a good time! There are quite a few back road adventures in and around the coast range just off the beaten path. Driving in daylight adds a lot to the experience. While Going "animal" at In-and-Out can fun, there are far tastier late night food & beverage options in the South Bay.

Not to take this thread too far afield, but do you have a restaurant recommendation for 9+ pm weeknights in the San Jose area? Just preparing for my inevitable next trip to the home office. I gravitate toward 'Merican comfort food but welcome other options.

I would love to try that Bay Area drive again on a bright, sunny day. Back in 2000, I drove Highway 1 in a rental convertible Mustang from LAX to Santa Maria. Another unexpected, but welcome upgrade. That was a beautiful trip.

Keep in mind that with a 1M + population, San Jose and the surrounding communities have a large variety of restaurants that offer most everything you could imagine. However, mid week hours are often limited to 10:00 p.m. with Friday and weekends often being open later. Generally, restaurants with bars tend to be more popular and tend to stay open late. For example, Original Joe's (Italian) in downtown San Jose; "Sushi Confidential" in Campbell that has mid week Happy Hour from 10:00 p.m. to Midnight; the Gastropub, in Santana Row called the "Yard House" is open past midnight, Dry Creek Grill (steakhouse) in Willow Glen is one of our local gems but only open until 10:00 weekdays, As a first step, I suggest you google several of the local neighborhoods which have a concentration of food options and see if there is anything that piques your curiosity. Specifically, there are downtown retail areas such as "Willow Glen" , "Campbell" , "Los Gatos" and "Saratoga" as well as the upscale "Santana Row". Typically, the ethnic restaurants run the spectrum with Mexican, South American, Chinese, Thai, Sushi, Italian, Greek, German, Ribs, Pizza, and the native "California Cuisine". The relative "newcomer" in the hospitality sector are the Gastropubs featuring local craft beers, high end cocktails and hearty food choices. From Taco trucks to Tuxedo'd waiters , there is something for everyone. If you need further help, post a couple of your favorite menu items and perhaps I can make a recommendation.

I agree there are lots of restaurants in the area. I figured the locals know the best places and I like to use the experience of others to try to reduce my mistakes. (I won't live long enough to make 'em all myself ;) ) I was looking for some recommended favorites that I could try to cut down on the search options and you came through with several. Thx!

I had some Rental-Karma in California last week that made up for all the dinky cars I've used on business trips. I arrived in San Jose for an overnight stay and went to the Avis counter to pick up my company-approved Yaris-type transportation. They weren't busy so I joked with the counter dude for a few minutes. He asked me if a two seater would work and I said, "Sure, If it's a Lamborghini!". He laughed and said they had none of those and handed me the keys to parking location M6. He told me the car will be in a Budget-Rental slot since they share territory. Up on the 5th floor of the parking garage, I found slot M6. It was a silver 2018 Mustang GT. The parking garage reverberated with a throaty roar when I fired up the 460 horsepower V8. As I drove to the office, the afternoon rain kept my elation in reign.

I was in town for only one night. My business meeting ran well into the evening. When I got off work, I drove to my hotel and at the recommendation of the counter person, walked over to the nearby In-N-Out joint and grabbed a 3x3 burger "Animal Style" from their "Secret Menu" (very good, by the way). I snarfed my burger and then walked over and jumped into the Mustang. The rain had subsided by this time. I drove down the winding expressway to Santa Cruz. The road could be a blast to drive, but the traffic was still pretty heavy at 10 PM. I try to conduct myself as a good driver and open it up only when it is safe and doesn't bother others. I continued through town and turned northbound on Highway One. I discovered with delight that the road was nearly abandoned. I couldn't see the beautiful ocean view since it was dark, but that simply allowed me to concentrate on the visceral experience of the car. The acceleration is addicting as hell, but I got my 'stang-fix'. The car is so loud, I was a bit concerned about disturbing the locals that may or may not have been nearby.

I continued exuberantly about 40 miles up to San Gregorio and then turned inland through the mountain roads. I started on the La Honda road, but I couldn't tell you where I wound up. I just drove where the road looked good. After a satisfying run, I unexpectedly popped out onto I-280 and cruised south back towards Santa Clara.

I arrived late back at my hotel and had to be up in just a few hours. I was a bit sleepy at my meeting, but it was worth it. I put 143 miles on the car in that excursion and it took over a half-tank of gas on the drive back to the airport. The car was well used, but not (too) abused.

View attachment 31865
View attachment 31866
Nice. I love ours with 526 HP. Our stripe is that silver color. We made sure it was a Ford color.

Always fun to get a cool rental.

Back in I think 02 I rented a vert mustang in Oakland CA and kept it for a week. Drove it back to Brawley near the border and up to Coalinga for training and then back to Oakland. Over 1000 miles in a week. Total fun too.

Mel

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Hi Mel, +1: rentals are cool.

With your horsepower number, I'm guessing you have a GT350? If so, what year? I'm grooming several Ford dealers to pave the way for a 2020 Shelby GT350. I was leaning toward the Recaro seats, but after driving the rental GT, I was impressed with the leather seats. Do you know if these are the same seats as used in the Shelby?

Hi Mel, +1: rentals are cool.

View attachment 31867

With your horsepower number, I'm guessing you have a GT350? If so, what year? I'm grooming several Ford dealers to pave the way for a 2020 Shelby GT350. I was leaning toward the Recaro seats, but after driving the rental GT, I was impressed with the leather seats. Do you know if these are the same seats as used in the Shelby?
I ordered mine from Cedar City Ford in Cedar City Utah. I paid under sticker.

I drove the Recaro seats and the leather. Since the Recaro seats are not available in power and in my opinion are not as comfortable I ordered the power leather.

This is the single best car purchase I've ever made. Ordering was very cool.

We took it to a friend's body shop and had the stripe added and installed hood struts, fourth brake light, oil catch cans from Ford, tinted windows and clear bra.

Next weekend if the weather holds I will wake it up from it's hibernation and drive it around.

I might sell my 67 since I literally never drive it now.

Mel

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Back