• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

hazard switch wiring

66gt350

OK...I think this falls under the category of "What the Heck Did I Do This Time". I installed the emergency switch and wiring a while back, and I thought that it was working fine. I know, I know...it's scary when I start thinking!!! Well, I got a set of led taillights for x-mas. I went out and installed them tonight. They sent the the sequential relay, instead of the normal. I went out and installed them. They worked with the standard blinker relay. But now I've got some weirdness. The hazards don't work unless the key is on and a turn signal is on. And they still work without the emergency blinker relay being installed. I thought that it had something to do with the led assembly and not the correct relay, so I reinstalled all the old stuff and still the same.

So, what the heck did I do this time? What did I wire wrong?

Same thing. When the hazards and blinkers are on, the hazard lights are flashing, but I can that it's the blinker relay that's controlling them. It's like the hazard relay isn't there or doing anything. I'm guessing that I've got either a bad ground somewhere (YUCK) or a short somewhere (YUCK).
-rob

On my '66, as proofed by Midlife on the wiring, that is the way it works, with the key on. If I turn on the emergency flashers with the turn signal on, the turn signal flasher takes over the flashing. The system works fine with either off. They were not designed to work at the same time.....

Do the emergency flashers work by them selves (turn signal switch in the center position), with the key off?????

I would check the wiring for the first thing. Verify all plugs and pins are good. Do the turn signals work good? All that is happening when you use both switches is the power is being transferred to all lights due to the design of the emergency flasher switch. I would also work with the stock lights until resolved.

Swap the turn signal flasher cans. Sounds like your e-flasher can isn't putting out the power...or not receiving power.

OK...who came over and worked on my car while I was at work?!? I go out to the garage to track down the problem. Just for silly I turn on the hazards, and now they're working just fine!!! I'm thinking that I didn't have good connection on one of the taillight sockets.

-rob

Back