• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Head gasket selection w/ Aluminum heads

Horseplay

I Don't Care. Do you?
Donator
Looking for experienced recommendation on head gasket choice/options when installing aluminum heads onto stock Ford steel blocks. Trying to nail it down so I can pick some up and start putting the new engine together. From what I can gather both from the all knowing internet and also a couple real engine builders (both differ naturally!) here is what I have to choose from...but other options are welcome if it comes with actual experienced advice.

Felpro 1011-2 (copper fire ring, .039)
Felpro 8548PT2 (.047)
MrGasket 5708G (.038)

All three are steel core laminate structures. I'm leaning toward the 1011-2 due to the pre-flattened copper ring and thin compressed thickness. Every little bit of compression is appreciated!

I believe I used the Fel-Pro 1011-2 under my Trick Flow heads, for the same reasons you are looking at them. Not sure how many miles I've put on them, but definitely several thousand (with regular trips to 6k rpm), and no sign of any problems.

Do make sure you follow instructions regarding steam holes in older blocks. I had to drill steam holes in the deck per Trick Flow's instructions to prevent overheating. Went through three drill bits and half a can of PB Blaster in the process...

Works for me. Thanks. Just ordered a set. That should finish up all the spend on the new engine. Whew!

i also agree with using the 1101-2 felpros. the copper fire ring will seal better than a stainless steel one will.

My Edelbrock RPM heads came with a "suggested" head gasket recommendation. I can't recall the part number but it wouldn't apply to a small block anyway. So I really have nothing to contribute. I'm just bored again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Edelbrock RPM heads came with a "suggested" head gasket recommendation. I can't recall the part number but it wouldn't apply to a small block anyway. So I really have nothing to contribute. I'm just bored again.
Good useful stuff. Thanks, Craig! lol

Back