• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Header bolts

AzPete

The 302 in my '66 came with Hooker Comp. non coated/rusty headers. They use the normal type bolts for attachment to the heads. I have noticed in looking at other options, I do not have lock washers of any type. (PO????) This method seems to constantly come loose when tightened. Torquing to a set amount is difficult to say the least. I am wondering if there are any other tried and workable options for the bolts. I was thinking an allen head bolt would be better to use and easier to torque. I really don't want to get into wiring the bolts as we did in aircraft maintenance to keep them from backing out. Any ideas...........

I did look into that. I am using the gaskets he had there. I am not sure that the vice grip action would be possible with the engine in the car. The lock method might be questionable on a couple of bolts but I think it would work. Just dealing with the ones that need the vice grips......no problem using them, just not sure there is room.......

Any other tried and working methods?

There are also some locking bolts, stage 8

stg-8911a_w.jpg

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=STG%2D8911A&autoview=sku

Thanks. Saw them on the Summit site also. Those do look like they would work. Hate those little clips. Anybody tried them? As always, looking for ease of use plus function and what has worked for others.

"TexasAxMan" said:
IMHO, the ones suggested by Fast68back are great. Highly recommended.

+1
got them on my car.
the allen head bolts make them ALOT easier to install than a regular hex head bolt.
only real thing I ran into was having to file/grind the crescent pieces occasionally where the fit was tight.
also, they resist rust better.

Thanks guys. Guess I will be ordering some new bolts. Not sure about the resisting rust better....they may never match my headers then. :cry :rofl

You need to make the car a garage queen to avoid worrying about rust.

C'mon...get your priorities right! :mod

Back