• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Headers wrapping

You would be better off getting the ceramic coated. Better finish, last years longer.

Mark

Not within my budget with one kid (23) still in university. The other ( 25) bought a house to renovate so we gave him some extra money to do the renovation properly for the next 30 years.
Thats the price you pay for having kids but we are glad we can do so.
But still don't have an answer why not wrapping ?

As Mark mentioned, the wrapping traps moisture and then you have a wet rag wrapped around your headers.

I wrapped the pipes on my bobber I built. did it just for looks tho. no measurable performance gain that I can tell... have heard stories of causing rust issues but I will never know unless I unwrap the pipes... been about 4 years so far and no issues, but those pipes were chrome under the wrap not painted steel like headers, so different animal I guess... I think if you started with bare stainless headers you would be OK, if you do painted steel headers you might have some rust issues. but like said above, I don't know why the heat would not keep them dry.

Attachments

• Right.jpg
    Right.jpg
    443.8 KB · Views: 9
If you were to put it away wet or if it sits a lot during cold temps, the moisture will collect and cause rust. I'm not saying don't use it, just that I wouldn't. I have a hard enough time keeping moisture (condensation) from trashing suspension parts and the oil pan from just sitting in the shop all winter. I just don't see a need to add another thing IN that might keep the moisture next to the metal.

If you were to put it away wet or if it sits a lot during cold temps, the moisture will collect and cause rust. I'm not saying don't use it, just that I wouldn't. I have a hard enough time keeping moisture (condensation) from trashing suspension parts and the oil pan from just sitting in the shop all winter. I just don't see a need to add another thing IN that might keep the moisture next to the metal.

Well , if you can buy ceramic coated headers , then this is the next step Mark:

Back