• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Headlight doors out of alignment.

PNYGTA

The LH headlight door on my 66 has never lined up as I thought it should.

I removed both the RH and LH headlight doors and compared them, the LH headlight door gap (between the two points, the top one that aligns with the bonnet edge and the bottom one that alignes with the grill surround) is different, there is about a 1/2 inch difference between the LH and RH headlight doors.

Just wondering if it is possible to heat the area at the top of the LH headlight door and bend it to align correctly?

Cheers

PNYGTA

It seems that headlight doors are like the rear quarter extensions, no two (of the same side), are alike! If you can get several to play with, I'd suggest matching up one that is a better fit. The part is made of pot metal and doesn't take kindly to bending and heating.

Did you check the buckets for cracks around the mounting points? Buckets commonly crack and sag causing poor door alignment. There is a post on here about it. I'll look for it...

Thanks RyanG65 and Ponyman66,

I did read the posts regarding the headlight buckets, and yes one of mine is cracked, but what I can't work out is that if my headlight door fits against the panel firmly, how can repairing the bucket make any difference?

BTW, I have two LH headlight doors, the one that came on the car and a spare that I purchased, both have the same issue, the one that came on the car looks like a repro and the other one is an original.

It just annoys me every time I see the gap between the bonnet and the headlight door.

Cheers

PNYGTA

Back