• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Heat shrink

ko67

I have been slowly soling electrical problems left to me by the po. I am getting rid of crimped splices when I redo something and replacing them with soldered connections covered with heat shrink. How do you cover a "t" shaped splice the proper way? I have covered some with that self fusing silicone tape, and some with plain old electrical tape. Is there a better way?

In answer to your question about "T" shaped splices, don't use them. Instead, use a "Y" shaped splice. You just run the two wires parallel to each other and one wire in the opposite direction, and use a larger single piece of heat shrink to cover the entire joint. It creates a very nicely insulated wire and you will have the same effect of joining 3 wires together.

"ZFORCE" said:
In answer to your question about "T" shaped splices, don't use them. Instead, use a "Y" shaped splice. You just run the two wires parallel to each other and one wire in the opposite direction, and use a larger single piece of heat shrink to cover the entire joint. It creates a very nicely insulated wire and you will have the same effect of joining 3 wires together.
+1

"ZFORCE" said:
Thanks. I now feel more educated.

"ZFORCE" said:

+2... And if you need to help keep water out of it, take a small peice of shrink tube fold it and stick it inbetween the 2 wires then slide another shrink tube over the entire connection and heat.

Back