• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Hello

cah428

Hi there - just joined. I'm Corey, owner of a '66 Mustang that my family has had since '86. Looking to do some work on it as the winter weather approaches here in Pennsylvania and wanted to get some ideas about things I could tackle, and things that I might not be able to handle myself.
This is my car:
ch_mustang_redlionroar_23.jpg

Welcome that is a nice looking car.

I'm in PA too. Shame it's already getting into fall weather.

Sweet car. Now what are you thinking about doing to it? There isn't much of anything you couldn't do yourself, if so inclined. Just takes cash and commitment.

If you are looking for suggestions we always start with the obvious areas of safety where the original designers fell short. Very first upgrade should always be to the brake system to install a dual master cylinder. After that it quickly becomes owner choice.

Hi again...
Sorry I've been away a while.
Fixed.

Beautiful car. Is that green?
Yes, that's green, but not the original green. From the factory the car was Ivy Green. Someone had painted it red by the time we got it. When dad fixed it up (in the 90s) he went with Pearlcoat Jewel Green. It was close enough to original and at the time he figured if it needed touchup he'd have an easier time getting that color.

Sweet car. Now what are you thinking about doing to it? There isn't much of anything you couldn't do yourself, if so inclined. Just takes cash and commitment.

If you are looking for suggestions we always start with the obvious areas of safety where the original designers fell short. Very first upgrade should always be to the brake system to install a dual master cylinder. After that it quickly becomes owner choice.
Thanks! Yes, that's what I'm kind of doing as well.
LED headlights & instrument cluster lights. Keeping the original gauges, though, no new digital dash.
Parking Brake
Hooking Reverse lights back up to transmission, which is a non-original T-5. Currently there's a rocker switch for them just under the dash.

I'm also worried that the clutch is just starting to slip, so I'm trying to learn now and decide if that's a job I want to tackle myself or have a shop do.

Thanks again for the notes and I may post and then be away for a bit.. that's just how I roll sometimes. :D

and????? he's gone. :oops:
Sorry about the long lapse.
I may be away from time to time... sometimes life just takes a turn and makes it tough to keep up on all the messages.
But I appreciate the welcome!

It doesn't need a ton of work... but Dad has passed and he was the family mechanic. I picked up some stuff when I was a kid, but it's been a while and I'm just slowly figuring out the stuff I think I can (and would like to) handle myself, and what I need to have a shop do.

Not sure what makes you think the clutch might need attention but replacing one on these cars with a T5 is about as easy as a clutch job gets. No need for special tools or a hoist or anything like that. a jack, jackstands and typical hand tools is all it takes. T5s are super light so doing the manual bench press to install one is still my go to. Even if what hair I have left might be more gray these days!

Curious if your dad put in a hydraulic throw-out bearing or hydraulic slave or good old fashioned mechanical clutch linkage. If not a hydraulic bearing, clutch time would be opportune time to upgrade. Simple to do and the pedal ease makes it worthwhile for sure. Cost can stack up but not outrageous if doing yourself.

Not sure what makes you think the clutch might need attention but replacing one on these cars with a T5 is about as easy as a clutch job gets. No need for special tools or a hoist or anything like that. a jack, jackstands and typical hand tools is all it takes. T5s are super light so doing the manual bench press to install one is still my go to. Even if what hair I have left might be more gray these days!

Curious if your dad put in a hydraulic throw-out bearing or hydraulic slave or good old fashioned mechanical clutch linkage. If not a hydraulic bearing, clutch time would be opportune time to upgrade. Simple to do and the pedal ease makes it worthwhile for sure. Cost can stack up but not outrageous if doing yourself.
Thanks Horseplay,
One or 2 times in recent weeks when I've been trying to really haul in it, I've put the car into 4th gear and stomped on it, and there has been no pickup until I let off the gas a little bit and then the transmission then seemed to grab. Doesn't do that in regular driving.

I can't answer your questions about the throw-out bearing and linkage.

I have a QuickJack lift and plan for it to spend the winter on it.
So when I get under there I could snap some photos and post them for input, which I would greatly appreciate :)

Thanks again!

From your driving description it sounds more like you didn't have the engine RPM up much before you put the drivetrain into 1:1 which is not going to give the impression of much power. Especially if you have the typical 8" highway gear out back. Most T5's of the V8 engine variety have a very steep 1st gear which winds out very quickly. The real driving fun happens in 2nd and third all the way into 4th if the engine has the right build. I suggest taking it out and getting her rolling and after shifting into 2nd see how it feels when you "punch it". The classic indicator of a slipping clutch (aside form the obvious smell) will be the engine rpms ramping up while the car simply chuggs along at best.

From your driving description it sounds more like you didn't have the engine RPM up much before you put the drivetrain into 1:1 which is not going to give the impression of much power. Especially if you have the typical 8" highway gear out back. Most T5's of the V8 engine variety have a very steep 1st gear which winds out very quickly. The real driving fun happens in 2nd and third all the way into 4th if the engine has the right build. I suggest taking it out and getting her rolling and after shifting into 2nd see how it feels when you "punch it". The classic indicator of a slipping clutch (aside form the obvious smell) will be the engine rpms ramping up while the car simply chuggs along at best.
Thanks! I'll give that a try and see how it goes.

Back