• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Help: 64.5 back up light wiring

Federico Garza

Longstory short, 18 years ago I took off my back up lamps discarded them and went with a GT rear valance , and just recently bought a new set.

But... I crawled under the car, and I only see one grommet poking out of the bottom of the trunk storage's specifically the passenger side that has the power wire coming Thru it, and the ground going in to the trunk compartment and attaching to the taillamp housings...

On the drivers side theres only a plug, no grommet, and it looks original, at this point I'm only guessing I might missing a harness that connects the drivers side back up lamp to the passenger one... True or false???

If I am missing a harness, were can I procure it, Ive tried to search on line for it with no results.

Thanks in advance for any help.

The plug on the driver's side should be the same plug for the grommet for the backup lights.

There is no sub-harness for backup lights: it is either integral with the main rear light harness or it is not part of the harness, depending upon whether the car had the option or not. Your best bet is to go with a 65/66 rear harness with integral backup lights, having to change the connectors to the main harness (which has different connectors for 64.5). I'm presuming there is no repro 64.5 rear harness with backup lights.

On the passenger side there is a connector for the back up lamp, I have a cut wire on the driver side and theres no connector (maybe there was one), what puzzles me is the plastic plug on the driver side, it looks like its been there its whole life..

I really dont remember how it was, I will post some pictures, thanks again

Back