• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Help me midlife

I've been working on the querying fire my stang and have a couple questions. Ive made all the connections between the firewall and starter solenoid and regulator to alternator. Problem is only the interior comes on when I attach the positive to the battery. And nothing else comes on when I turn the ignition switch to accessory.

Where does the black and yellow wire get attached? Pic 1

Wheres does the black and red go? Pic 2

Attachments

• 2011-09-18_11-00-44_784.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 53
  • 2011-09-18_11-00-04_147.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 45
As for the interior lamp, Have you tried turning the headlight switch to see if you have it in the dome light position?
For the wires in #1 looks like it goes to the + side of the sol for batt charge.
The ones in #2 look like the alt charge harness.
That is a guess as your not showing the other ends. :roll

Tried turning the light switch to get the fine light off but nothing happened. Light dims a lil but thats it. The wire from pic one does go to the hot side of the starter solenoid and the wire in the second pic should be to the alternator according to my wiring book.

Then poss bad door jamb switch for the dome lamp.
The plug connector should have a matching side, in the pic it looks like its next to it.
The alt harness has a plug connecton to remove it easy or do the hook up on the factory line
as it was installed onto the engine before it was placed into the car.

Does the alternator look wired correctly?

White/black from regulator to positive of alternator
Orange from regulator to to negative of alternator
Red/black from fire wall to alternator

Positive of alternator is located on the bottom in the pic, correct?

Attachments

• 2011-09-18_19-02-01_422.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
Yellow and red wires on your second picture are for your ammeter.
Black wire on first picture could be almost anything; it looks close to a yellow butt splice, which means that wire could be anything at all. I can't help you there. Where does that wire go to on the other end?
The third picture is a covered or hooded 3 prong connector. Typically, that is a plug for the parking or side marker lamps. I also see a bare wire exposed. Is this immediately coming out of the firewall? If so, that hooded 3 prong connector is the gauge harness (oil, temp, coil).
I can't help on the alternator connections. Many alternators change the position of the posts. The alternator is typically marked as B (Battery), F (Field), S (Stator), and G (Ground). Battery cable is typically black, ground is typically black/red stripe, Field is white, and S is white/black stripe. If you have an ammeter, the Stator is not used.

Back