• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Help, wire color for

6t6red

I am trying to find a wire for power on my retrosound radio. Is it the blue/red or the black/red. or neither. If it is the blue/red, can I just plug into the blue/red for the shifter light power that isn't being used. (located under dash near the center by defrost pletum. How and where did you steal your power. This is on a 66 coupe with new underdash harness. TIA

"AzPete" said:
Blue/red is dash lights

Black/red is factory radio power

Thanks Pete. The black/red 3 prong is the one I am looking for, correct? That is the same connector I will want to run my back up lights thru also, correct?

"6t6red" said:
Thanks Pete. The black/red 3 prong is the one I am looking for, correct? That is the same connector I will want to run my back up lights thru also, correct?

That is correct for 65/66's. From 67 onwards, the radio power was a yellow/black wire. Any accessory fused wire can be used for radio power, however. Some 66's have a black wire with white female bullet plug that can be used for radio power.

"Midlife" said:
That is correct for 65/66's. From 67 onwards, the radio power was a yellow/black wire. Any accessory fused wire can be used for radio power, however. Some 66's have a black wire with white female bullet plug that can be used for radio power.

Where under the dash would I look to see if I have that black wire? Since I have to take the cluster out to hook to the black/red I figure (while I'm at it) I will order the led dash lights and install those also. Anything else while I'm at it? :yah

"6t6red" said:
Where under the dash would I look to see if I have that black wire? Since I have to take the cluster out to hook to the black/red I figure (while I'm at it) I will order the led dsh lights and install those also. Anything else while I'm at it? :yah

You'll only find it on late 66 underdash harnesses. Early harnesses have a funny looking clip on the top-most fuse clip on the right; if that isn't there, the black wire with the white female bullet connector is located just before the fuse box and around where the fuel line (yellow/white) attaches, near the turn signal connector. For early 66 harnesses, that funny looking clip contains the 3 prong wire ending up in a yellow three-prong plug; the later harnesses also have this yellow plug.

Thanks Randy. I will be back under the dash next weekend. I can't wait. :sarc

P.S. It sucks getting old and working in all kinds of twisted positions.

Back