• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Helping the economy....arrrggh

KBMWRS

Welcome truth back
Donator
Years ago a friend said he was doing his part to help the economy by going out and buying things.
I'm in the same situation now......but its a bit much.

After living in the same house for 35 years we decided to remodel the interior. I think it was painted and carpets about 30 years ago....
I mean we have dining room furniture that was my wife's mother's. Time for a change.
Since I know nothing about design nor what to choose and never mind the actual work of it all I decided we go with the same design/remodeling firm that did the outside of our house.
So now we're in the planning/choosing stages of the design. This is not a short process. We expecting them to start in July. Why so late? Well my son is getting married in Wisconsin in June so we're off in the travel trailer for that month.
Of course we need to move out when this is done so we'll be living in it when we get back. Then there's moving all of the interior out and to storage. I ain't doing it.
Then we go to the dentist, which we haven't seen in over a year. Had to get a new one because our last one quit. Just upped and sold the practice and the new guy doesn't take our insurance. So find a another dentist and she does a thorough exam and says we both need lots of work due to bad prior work. Seems our family dentist we had for years was sort of a quack. She asked my wife if she had work done in Mexico or other such country. No it was the guy that rarely looked in our mouths. So now we're planning on spending used car prices for the work.
Haven't seen the estimate for the remodel yet....like I said....helping the economy. ARRRGH:eek:

I can relate to the dentist thing. He is pretty much replacing all the crowns she did. Wearing a temp now, permanent in another week. But she liked milking the insurance companies. I guess being a USC grad means nothing. Her mother was good, but she retired and gave the business to her daughter.
Good luck on the home improvements.

fd

Dental insurance? Do tell...mine only covers cleaning and x-rays and at a fraction of the price. When I went for extra coverage for dentistry, the insurance company refused to pay for a crown on a cracked tooth, despite the dentist sending in high resolution pictures. That's when I decided dental insurance is a rip-off.

Dental insurance? Do tell...mine only covers cleaning and x-rays and at a fraction of the price. When I went for extra coverage for dentistry, the insurance company refused to pay for a crown on a cracked tooth, despite the dentist sending in high resolution pictures. That's when I decided dental insurance is a rip-off.
Yea I just had to pay $3500 when I thought that I would only have to pay 1750 for a bridge. No longer have that insurance.

A few years ago, figured out that the visits and cleaning cost less if I paid for it myself than the total cost plus my insurance premiums. What a waste.

Did you know dentists have a higher mortality rate than most other doctors? Payback is a bitch.

One of the best things we ever did was start "our own dental plan" 16 years ago. We put x amount in a separate account every month and only use it for dental work. It has paid for all our work including root canals, crowns,, implants, x-rays, cleanings and anything else that has come along so far.

Don't get me started on dentists. I finally have a good one but...

As for your remodel good luck.

We are doing ours on the slow and steady plan. As I have extra cash, I buy stuff and then use my weekends for doing the work instead of track time or car events. The poor 67 is just sitting in need of parts and paint.

So many projects, so little time and money.

Mel

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Mikey: you should have done what I did: move and get a different house!

Nah the taxes would kill me. Prop 13 means we keep the prop tax we bought the house at....1986

Surprises me that they have not found a way to overturn Prop 13
They tried to turn over the commercial property tax part of prop 13 last year. It got shot down by the voters for the second time.

I think they will eventually turn prop 13 over. Which will be unfortunate because people who are on a fix income won't be able to afford the new value of the property.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Sure wish we had Prop 13 over here in Texas!! My property taxes are slated to be more than $10,000 next year. Yay!

Mike - how do you know that the NEW dentist isn't the one who's screwing you over?? :oops:

I struggled for years to find "the right" dentist here in Austin. For a bit I had a few dentists that all were good at cleaning, but always tried to sell me gum surgery because one of my gums is higher than the rest?? It's been like that since I had braces more than a decade ago, people! One said I had incipient cavities that needed immediate attention, except I showed them my dental records proving the baby cavities had been there for 8+ years without any change, and they were still convinced I needed fillings until I told them to go kick rocks. Then I tried another one that basically hung off the side of my jaw while jackhammering away with the pick in my teeth... my first experience with a truly bad dentist. Was bummed and about to go back to one of the gum surgery dentists when my neighbor clued me in to a great one that she sees. I went to see him last month and for the FIRST TIME SINCE I LEFT NC, the dentist just went, "wow, teeth look great! no concerns. see you in 6 months" What a fuckin relief.

I hate that it is such a struggle to find healthcare professionals who: A) are competent; B) won't try to overcharge you; C) won't try to sell you shit you don't need; and D) take your insurance (such as it is). UghhhhhHHHHHHH

Nah the taxes would kill me. Prop 13 means we keep the prop tax we bought the house at....1986
Mike:

Do you not keep up with current events????? Check out prop 19 from the last election. As I understand it, as an old fart, you do not lose your low property tax assessment if you move anywhere in California's 58 counties. So long as your "new" house is equal or lesser in current fair market value to your current house, your existing assessment comes with you. If your new place is higher cost, then a hybrid formula kicks in. Talk to your accountant/tax preparer to get the whole story.

Good luck with the house remodel.

No comment on the dentist situation. I have a good dentist...:cool:

Mikey lives close to where all the garlic grows, and he loves the smell of money!

Back