• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Here we go! 1966 Coupe

tlmartin84

80-img_20171001_124135_1a86449c2b76ccba8d7fd6e60250393a41f25f3c.jpg

80-img_20171001_124147_65da58cca30b2f290d8404f9b4815fa3d4a2f0b9.jpg

It's gonna be a month or so before I really get rolling. Not really sure which direction I am heading as far as drivetrain and suspension is concerned.

The '65 is a complete car, but the '66 is in better shape. The first task is to transfer all the parts I need from the 65 to the 66 and then start patching.

I've got them moved to the apron in front of my shop garage door, and have inventoried all the miscellaneous parts.

I have a 56 F100 I have to get some media blasting done on, prior to starting these. I am also clearing a bunch of fence rows while weather is holding out. Soon as snow starts flying I should be getting around 20 hours per week split between the 56 and 66.

First things: check the floorboards n trunk. POR-15 is your friend.
Second is to inspect the cowl

POR-15 is your friend
I do not understand the fixation with POR-15. You see guys slathering this stuff all over everything regardless of metal condition as if it is some kind of miracle cure for metal rot. Same with other so called "rust encapsulators". Not sold on it. I've seen plenty of pictures of metal "treated" with such where the rot continues, hidden away for a while only to return much worse. Why not do it right and remove the rust and bad metal in the first place? When have cheap and easier ever really been a good solution to anything?

I do not understand the fixation with POR-15. You see guys slathering this stuff all over everything regardless of metal condition as if it is some kind of miracle cure for metal rot. Same with other so called "rust encapsulators". Not sold on it. I've seen plenty of pictures of metal "treated" with such where the rot continues, hidden away for a while only to return much worse. Why not do it right and remove the rust and bad metal in the first place? When have cheap and easier ever really been a good solution to anything?

I know you know what your talking about but you can really be a debbie downer sometimes! You are right though, a lot of people just paint over the rust

I know you know what your talking about but you can really be a debbie downer sometimes! You are right though, a lot of people just paint over the rust
I don't mean to be. Honestly. I have spent over three decades in roles professionally in a technical capacity. I have come to fully realize there are the right ways to do things and all the others. Some of the "others" are ok and can work but in my opinion they do just that. Work but leave sometimes much to be desired. I get not everyone can afford the cost to do everything perfect. But in my eyes our labor is free. I'm big on do it once right instead of close over and over.

When it come to rust and metal anything short of RIGHT (which means full removal) is just a placeholder at best as the rust will keep growing and destroying the metal. I can't understand why one wouldn't take the time to get it all out before calling it good enough. What's a few more hours or days to know its right and will last another 50 years vs good enough and hope it doesn't show for 5?

I wore wheeled my floorboards n trunk n then applied the POR-15 it is tough. I did this in 2000 n it still looks great

I wore wheeled my floorboards n trunk n then applied the POR-15 it is tough. I did this in 2000 n it still looks great
Rust needs oxygen to "grow". The premise of POR-15 is it creates a shield over the metal blocking out air, at least as I understand it. Their instructions direct to clean up the rust present well before application. This is to avoid any flaking which would jeopardize the coating contact integrity allowing in air. And then the rust is off to the races. Far too many people think they can just slather it on and by a miracle all is good, no metal prep required. Sounds like you prepped and applied it as required.

Rust needs oxygen to "grow". The premise of POR-15 is it creates a shield over the metal blocking out air, at least as I understand it. Their instructions direct to clean up the rust present well before application. This is to avoid any flaking which would jeopardize the coating contact integrity allowing in air. And then the rust is off to the races. Far too many people think they can just slather it on and by a miracle all is good, no metal prep required. Sounds like you prepped and applied it as required.
In the cabin n trunk I also applied seam sealer. Once my headache dispersed I applied black anti skid coating (rattle can). It came out fabulous

I do not use por 15, but KBS. Same stuff essentially. I blast everything first though, and then apply it.

However I think I will just be using epoxy primer on this one after prepped.

Back