• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Holy CRAP (literally)...

BobV

Gotta rant somewhere about this.....
:soapboxrant
As some of you know, I live in a small subdivision (75 homes) in the country - just outside the city limits of a small (~4000) town. The subdivision was built 12 years ago with discharging sewage lagoons on a 20 year permit.

Ten years ago, the school district geniuses decided they like our quiet area, and built an elementary school. They attached it to our sewage lagoon (which it was not designed to handle). Five years ago, they decided they should build a middle school too... And the county & state said OK, but we're going to make you install sewer lines to pump 2 miles away and connect to the city. Several of us protested, since no one could tell us even an approximate cost. I distinctly remember being told "we'll do everything possible to minimize the impact to residents". Several public meetings were held, but no one ever had numbers. The city offered to annex us, but only if 100% of homes agreed.. still no numbers to help make that decision, either. Of course hardly anyone agreed to be annexed, so they announced that out-of-city users will have to pay 50% ABOVE the in-city rate. :char

Anyway, they built the :censored thing and Saturday, I got my first monthly treatment bill, for the month of April - about $10. I can live with that. My neighbor (his bill was $15.00) called city hall to question the bill though, since we were not even hooked up all month. They told him that is a pro-rated bill for 4 DAYS of treatment - multiply the amount by 7.5 to find your bill for future months! What? His bill will be $110 per month just for sewer (that does NOT include water (~$50) or trash service ($15) )! :wth

Wait - it gets better...

We will also be receiving a tax bill from the county for constructing the 2 mile long pipeline of approximately $1.5 MILLION... Quick math says that 20 years, 75 homes is $1000 per year per home, plus interest... :rant

So my toilet flushes just the same as it did before, but now I get to pay ~$200 per month for sewage disposal. :nut

Oh, my school taxes have gone up ~$600/year to pay for the schools too, now that MY kids are grown-up. :yah

Can't afford to live here any more, and can't afford to move now either... :hs

/ :soapboxrant

Sorry to hear that "crappy" news!

It's just another reason why I live out in the sticks grass. No water bill, no sewer bill and NO neighbors.

Yep, I was "in the sticks" when we moved here - no schools close-by, no cable, and the subdivision to the north wasn't here yet either... If I move any further out, commuting costs just go up. I'm 25 miles each way now.....
It really sucks that realtors are steering people away from the area now too, because of the sewers.

Oh man Bob. That sucks man. What the hell happens when people can't honestly afford to pay that???

If you don't pay, they add it onto your property taxes, with penalty & interest. If you don't pay those, they put a tax lien on your property (plus more penalty & interest), and collect when it sells...

My budget was already fairly tight with cash-flowing college and gas prices. Now, another straw on this camel's back...

My bill jumped from $30 a month to damn near $100 because of some new treatment something or other. It was like that for nearly a year. If finally went back down to what the average used to be 2 months ago. This nickel and dime shit is getting old.

Sent via mobile device from an undisclosed location.

Since misery loves company...

A few months ago, you may recall, my home state up'd our income tax rate 66%. Now my town has just announced our water bill will be going up 29%. Add to that already increased electric rates and the school district portion of our property taxes. Did I mention regular gas was $4.49 gallon a couple days ago?

Weather has finally gotten nicer, though.

I feel for you man. I live in a subdivision that is the last 5 acre or larger lots available in the county. There are 385 sites, we were number 65. I can't believe the growth. I also don't understand it since almost 1/2 the property is for sale. Rock bottom prices too.

Anyway we live a few miles as the crow flies to the small town of New Harmony with a population in the area of around 1500. The nearest store is 17 miles one way in Cedar City. Milk is expensive now that gas it up.

Well, our water is a co-op water company that the property owners own water shares in. One per lot. One share = 1 acre foot of water per year. Well, with 5 acres you can't do much more than run your house and water your pets without going over. The cost for a water share is around 30k so it doesn't pencil to buy one. It would take the rest of my life to pay that back at even $1000 a year overage which is a bunch. Our sewer is septic, which aside from the install price is around $100 a year in maintenance. Trash is 1- you take it to the dump (Free except for gas) or pickup is $10 a month. I am sure that will go up since fuel is high now. It went up before when fuel went up, but never went down.

Our property taxes will go up big time when they pave the roads! They required the contractor to pave the other phases, but since ours was the second one sold and the contractor had already turned the roads over to the county, we will have to pay. Add that to the property tax that did not go down with the value of the houses. Before $750k value and now $330 appraised value and actual value is more like the $200k that the neighbor paid for their house.

My property tax is still well over the 1% or the $330k.....

So, governments all over are hurting and they are grasping at straws to get more money.

Doesn't make it right, but we the people are screwed since the government doesn't work for us, we work for them.

Mel

Call up the city and have yourself disconnected from the sewer line and get a outhouse.

Oh wait. You're married. Nevermind.

Oh wait, just crap in the school!

"blue65coupe" said:
Thank God for a few acres with a well, creek, and trees.

Does your sewage run out in the creek? Hehehehehe

I would love to have a well, but because of the laws in this state, not going to happen.

The only way to have a well is to own the underground water rights and that only happens in certain occasions and subdivisions aren't one.

Mel

Back