• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Hood Bubbling Under Paint

09Frank65

My hood (2009 GT) is bubbling under the paint at the leading edge and underneath. It's an issue that Ford has been aware of dince at least 2007 since they issued a TSB on it then.

Took it to the dealer who told me it would be covered under the 5 year corrosion guarantee but then called back to tell me that Ford said since it wasn't perforated it wasn't covered. I have half a mind to perforate it and take it back to them.

The other half of my mind says to contact Ford corporate and complain about an issue they have been aware of for years but apparently have done nothing about.

Has anyone had any positive experience in getting this resolved?

TIA

Sounds like you have 2 more years for a hole to mysteriously appear in the bubble.
Get it in writing and take it back in the spring when the hole shows up at a time that best suits your schedule....like when you are going to Disney ;)

Yep....just what Ford said....the paint warranty after delivery issues is for having a hole thru the metal due to corrosion. It is still an issue on at least some 2012 models. It is an issue that the aluminum hood was not properly cleaned prior to painting........

Had it on my '07 GT Vert and the local dealer got it thru Ford as an authorized repair but the car was still under the 3/36 warranty. My '11 has no problem.......yet..

My talk with a different dealer.....

That's what sucks. 36,350 miles and 39 months. If I had noticed it a few months earlier it would not have been an issue.

I have not noticed any on my '07. But then it mostly sits in the garage. I have had it 6 years and 4 days. 24,9xx miles. :sm_NTA

fd

This was one of the main reasons I got rid of my 06 GT. I had mine repaired 4 times and when I traded it in, the paint was bubbling for a 5th time. It has to do with the dissimilar metals they used on the hood. The top part of the hood itself is in fact aluminum, but the support bottom section is steel I believe. The two don't get along at the lip where the aluminum is seamed over the steel frame and that apparently causes the paint to bubble. I blew up at Ford corporate after my 3rd time of having to take it back in when they said it wasn't going to be covered because I was outside of the factory warranty. It took about 2 days of back and forth phone calls (and being a lawyer doesn't hurt either in these situations) and they agreed to cover the repairs. About 3 months later it started to bubble up again and I took back, this time without any questions.

It is worth a phone call to Ford corporate. And make sure you throw the TSB in their face. They'll try and talk their way out of the repairs, but I was pretty successful in using their own TSB against them saying it is a known issue and they don't want to do anything about it to keep a customer satisfied. I also said if this was the way they were going to treat customers, that I would never be purchasing another Ford vehicle and that did get their attention. Good luck!

Can't believe they still haven't got this right. My 07 Expedition has it on the aluminum hood and tailgate.

Back