• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

hood pin placement?

hey everyone....i got some sweet flush mount hood locks/pins and was hoping for some advice on where to place the pins. on the jan'11 cover of modified mustangs/fords, the pins are inset just about 1-2" from the fenders of a '68 shelby fastback and it appears the pins would be on the top edge of the radiator support.
otherwise, i was thinking of using the hood bumper brackets on the rad.support, where the grill mounts and just use the pins to do double duty as grill mounts and hood bumpers/pins.

my car is a standard '67 coupe and the hood is the stocker, with NO scoops or turn marker cutouts, but i've still got some reinforcement areas that i'll need to cut thru.

the latches are from AeroCatch and are lockable and flush mounted. i've seen them mostly on import or euro cars and preferred the flush-mount/non-shiny install.

thanks.

"67resto-coupe" said:
otherwise, i was thinking of using the hood bumper brackets on the rad.support, where the grill mounts and just use the pins to do double duty as grill mounts and hood bumpers/pins.

I think thats what i would do

Same here. Use a spring that just fit over the shaft , close the hood so you have to push down the hood to push the pin on.That way the pin is under load and doesn't rattle.My opinion.

** update ** 1 pin/latch down, 1 more to go.
i did eventually use the hood stopper bracket to mount the pin.
it worked better because they're completely flat, whereas the radiator
support's curve made me nervous about the pins pointing anywhere but
straight up.

fyi, cutting the hood and the underside bracing with a dremel sucks.
i hope to get the 2nd pin in tonight and will post pics, if anyone's
interested.

so, they say measure twice, cut once.....i did that and then some, but still ended up losing a 5/16 socket somewhere inside the driver'side inner support structure and have the passenger side latch about 1mm too far to the inside. but overall, i'd say i'm happy with these locks/latches. yes, the driver's side is painted black and i forgot to paint the passenger's side....i'll fix that when i remove the hood to get my socket back and i'll just sand down the whole hood and primer it. here are the pics as promised.

i believe they're originally out of the u.k., but there's a local distributor in southern cal.
i ordered mine from www.coastfab.com....look for "aerocatch"

options/colors? basic black
i got the locking ones..., but they're also offered in non-locking...
there's a white version for marine applications, but i couldn't see why they couldn't be used in an automotive application. you'd have to call them for specfics.

there's also a faux carbon fiber look, but i didn't like it. too glossy...plus it's "faux"...like sipping tea w/my pinky pointing straight out. ;)

they say these are paintable, but there are gaps/seams that i'd be nervous about getting paint in there....

i hadn't seen these before either so that's why i pulled the trigger and got'em. however, the most recent sighting was on a '11 aston martin Vantage GT4...pretty cool application....

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/11/26/aston-martin-releases-updated-2011-vantage-gt4/

so far, i like them alot. the spongy foam rubber material around the post provides a good amount of resistance. so i can push them down, give the hood an extra umph and latch it. there's no rattle....except for the lost 5/16 socket somewhere in the inner structure....hope to find it this week.

Back