• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Hood scoop cracks, body work question

If it is cracked now, about the only thing is to remove it and start fresh. I believe 3M is the better adhesive but it has been a while since I did one.

The cracking issue develops because the steel hood and the fiberglass scoop heat and cool at different rates.

Best way is to build a steel one........

I did the same thing to my kid's 66 about ten years ago and it has no cracking on it at all. What I did different was I used the bolt on scoop and bonded it on with 3M 8115, then blended the sides with a small amount of Fiber-Tech by Evercoat.

Ok, getting back to this, I think I'll salvage this hood by removing the junk glued on fiberglass hood scoop, and replacing with a tony branda bolt on hood scoop. It's a ford hood and the PO cut a crude hole under the existing scoop. I wouldn't have cut a hole for my purposes. So what would be a good way to make the cut out look better? I'd like to see some pictures of someones completed hood underside.P1010737r.JPG P1010870r.JPG P1010871r.JPG

Last edited:
Ok, there's probably a real good answer to this, but how is this ad still showing up on eBay's site, since it's from 2012?

I wondered that too. Hey, if the pictures were still there I wouldn't have had to post my own.
Been thinking about how to fix this. Thinking I'll cut some sheet metal in the shape of, and just a little larger than the hole in the steel bracing. Then work it in behind the bracing, with some silicone on the back to hold it in. Should never know there was a hole there then, at least from underneath.

I've got a 67 hood with a crude cutout. What I'm thinking is to slit the metal so the it will form around the bracing. Taking a body hammer and working the metal over the brace sorta like how the door skin wraps around the box structure.

Living the dream or running it down... Haven't figured out which yet.

Back