• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

How do I align the hood???

Rob Z

I spent most of Sunday trying to get the hood aligned. It has never been on the car sense I got the car. I can get the seam looking good, but the rear is about 1/8 to 1/4 inch up. I thought of making the holes in the hinge longer, but better ask first.

Thanks

5147409104_09fb688c70.jpg

Two people, open the hood and hold it. Loosen the bolts on the hinge mounts at the inner fenders. Lift hood a bit and hinges will slide down. snug bolts and GENTLY close the hood and check for fit.

What Pete said.

Loosen the bottom rear bolt and the top bolt where the hinges bolt to the apron. Then lift the hood and use the hood as a lever to swivel the hinges downward on the back bolt. You don't need much movement. Then tighten your bolts back up.

Be careful. Some hinges will let the hood shift to one side and dig into the fender if you're not paying attention.

What you will find is after you shut your hood you can press down on the back and it will fit the way you want, that is typical for wore out hinges, it seems no matter how much you adjust the hinges the back always stays up because thee is to much slop in the hinges. Rich.

+1 on what Rich said. I have new hinges and made the adjustment, but I still have to push the hood down after I close it. No big deal for me. Just learned to live with it.

Got a chance today and work with the hood. Having someone push up as I loosened the bolts did the trick. I'm not getting the effect of old hinges, YET.

Thanks for the help.

Back