• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

How much epoxy primer, 2k primer, base and clear?

I am putting together a list of materials I will need to paint the fastback but I have no idea how much material I will need. I was planning on covering everything inside and out with at least 2 coats of epoxy. 2-3 coats of 2k will go on the outside followed by 2-3 coats of base and 3-4 coats of clear. The floors will stay in epoxy and won't get any color since they will be covered with sound deadener. I haven't decided what to put for a finish on the undercarriage yet. Is there a rule-of-thumb I could use to come with an estimate for the amount of material I will need?

I used 1/2 a gallon of 2K with 3 coats on everything but a door made by ching wong-150$, I have a gallon of base coat-240$ quart of sealer-100$ Gallon of Clear Coat-300$ If your going to paint/prime it yourself you might want various sanding pads-i used hookit 2's which are expensive$$/maybe a DA sander/ good 3M green tape think its like 3$ a roll?-paint sticks/free-mixing cups/2$, screened funnels,gallon of degreaser-35$,Tack rags1$,wet sanding block 4-10$ some 600 grit wet sanding paper-30$,Hardener/Laquer/Tiger Seam sealer15$ a TUBE!!!/can of guide coat for primer-5$/Self Etch Primer for bare steel8$/ any stripes you need fine line tape/ I bought 2 quarts of POR 15 for the underside at 40$ a piece and over that laid down 3 coats of Raptor U-POL 140$ a kit includes gun, + 1 bottle 20$...ect..ect..
It can go on and on, the base coat price will depend on the color/availibility in your area, I bought all my stuff at Sam's Auto Body-

Materials usually cost 800-2000$, And i have seen a body shop charge 5,000$ for a spray job on a buick all they did was pressure wash the car and lay down paint...probably started to flake on the ride home lol.

just start with a gallon of epoxy. you'll get a feel for what you'll need.

get your paint and supplies locally if possible.

i probably used at least 3 gallons of epoxy, 2-3 gallons filler, 3 gallons of 2k primer, 1 gallon base, 2 gallons clear, 1 gallon single stage black, 3 qts single stage custom mix... i can't count the number of rolls of masking tape, sandpaper, scotch brite pads, thinner, reducer...

Back